Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my video card....part 2. Thanks so much everyone. 8)

Best Answer Porkins76 , 16 August 2015 - 05:21 AM

Thanks so much Iamm for your feedback. I did try the optimize tool through the GeForce Experience app which configured my settings pretty high. I was also using RivaTuner also. My max temp reached... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Porkins76

Porkins76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Thanks so much Phil for getting back to me!

I do  have a question though that I'm noticing. My last card was an AMD and it would run up to 74C when I was running a game when things were functioning normally. Had an issue once where it got into the 90C's area but it just needed to be cleaned.

I'm not as familiar with GeForce cards so wanted to ask if they typically run hotter or if it is perhaps what I'm running. I did buy Elder Scrolls Online which was what I was hoping to run. The GeForce card didn't have something similar to the catalyst control suite the AMD card had that told me how hot it was running. So I did some research and downloaded MSI Afterburner which has been monitoriing Power Usage, GPU Temp and Fan Speed etc. ect. I don't quite understand it all but wanted to be able to see easily how hot the gpu was running. Right now it has gotten up to 84C which seems pretty hot to me. I did see the specs on the cards website that it is rated up to 98C which sounds really hot.

I just don't want to fry anything. Any input on safe running temps. I used the optimize tool with the card but I am completely fine lowering settings if it will keep me in a safer temp and usage zone.

Thanks so much for everyone who responds.

Edited by Porkins76, 14 August 2015 - 06:27 PM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

The 770 reference card comes with the stock cooler and does run rather hot compared to one for say Asus with a custom cooler.    The Thermal Threshold is 95C, The GPU is designed to operate safely up to this temperature. If for any reason the GPU exceeds this temperature, the clock speed will automatically be dialled down. You will not fry the card  

Your 84C under load is a bit hot, as you said you had a Dell MB, can you confirm it is a branded Dell computer and give the model number?   We can then see if it is possible to enhance the air flow of the case as poor airflow would contribute to the card running hot.

Can't find a benchmark for Elder Scrolls on line, but this review will give you an idea of performance, but take into accont your system is not as powerful as the test rig, i.e. CPU, RAM and the gaming MB.   Please read the whole review, take note about the Geforce Experience as you may wish to install it.   I would not try Tuning (overclocking) your card  bunless you are willing to invest in a case with very, very good colling.   > http://www.hitechleg...l=1&limitstart=

http://nvidia-geforc...e.informer.com/

Download, > http://www.geforce.c...orce-experience

Porkins76

Porkins76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Gday.

The 770 reference card comes with the stock cooler and does run rather hot compared to one for say Asus with a custom cooler.    The Thermal Threshold is 95C, The GPU is designed to operate safely up to this temperature. If for any reason the GPU exceeds this temperature, the clock speed will automatically be dialled down. You will not fry the card  

Your 84C under load is a bit hot, as you said you had a Dell MB, can you confirm it is a branded Dell computer and give the model number?   We can then see if it is possible to enhance the air flow of the case as poor airflow would contribute to the card running hot.

Can't find a benchmark for Elder Scrolls on line, but this review will give you an idea of performance, but take into accont your system is not as powerful as the test rig, i.e. CPU, RAM and the gaming MB.   Please read the whole review, take note about the Geforce Experience as you may wish to install it.   I would not try Tuning (overclocking) your card  bunless you are willing to invest in a case with very, very good colling.   > http://www.hitechleg...l=1&limitstart=

http://nvidia-geforc...e.informer.com/

Download, > http://www.geforce.c...orce-experience

Thanks so much for your reply IAMM.

I actually have been able to find the beginnings of an answer possibly. I had installed MSI Afterburner and when I monitored the temp at 84C it was when I was running Elder Scrolls Online. Would that constitute it being under load? I dialed back some of the visual settings some but also started doing some googling and began messing with Afterburner. I was able to figure out the setting that would allow me to prioritize that I didn't want the temp to go say about 79C. That was default. I actually lowered it to 75C at first and it seemed to be able to hold it there. So I dialed it down some more to 72C.

I have only been messing with it for a bit but I was running Elder Scrolls then at and around 75C to 77C. Definitely nowhere near 84C. I didn't hit 80C. I also read a post about RivaTuner Statistics Server which came with Afterburner. Someone suggested making it hold the FPS to no more than 60FPS. I also did that.

So all and all I have seen some progress. Would you consider low to mid 70C's decent for running a graphic intense game?

I will paste in some system info. Highlighted model number and the motherboard info.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    STEVE-PC
System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
System Model    Studio XPS 7100
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    AMD Phenom™ II X6 1075T Processor, 3000 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 6 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc. A06, 9/10/2010
SMBIOS Version    2.6
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale    United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
User Name    Steve-PC\Steve
Time Zone    Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory    5.24 GB
Total Virtual Memory    16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory    13.0 GB
Page File Space    8.00 GB
Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

System Summary

Product Studio XPS 7100 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Motherboard

Manufacturer Dell Inc. Product 0NWWY0 Chipset AMD RS780/RS880 Southbridge AMD SB7xx/SB8xx ePPID CN0NWWY0736040660256

Again thanks so much for the help!

Edited by iammykyl, 15 August 2015 - 07:00 PM.
Deleted service tag info to prevent unauthorixed use by others.

Porkins76

Porkins76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Well....just wanted to post an update since I have learned several things and have done some researching and testing. Could use an opinion on what my results have been basically.

As far as I know I'm not overclocking anything with MSI Afterburner.

However with lowering the temp limit to 72C it does keep it around there with the fan speed around 37%. I also tried creating my own fan curve as per some of the info I gained and was able to keep the card around 60 to 65C tops with the fan speed at 65% or a tad higher.

I get same frame rates with both settings from 30FPS to 60FPS. Game I been using is Elder scrolls online.

Question 1: Which be better. Have the higher gpu temp with the slower fan speed or the lower gpu temp with higher fan speed.

Question 2: Have visual settings set around the high range. Should I go lower. Perhaps I'm trying to pull too much out of it.

Again thanks to everyone here for any and all advice. Sorry for being such a novice. This is all new to me.

Steve

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I had installed MSI Afterburner and when I monitored the temp at 84C it was when I was running Elder Scrolls Online. Would that constitute it being under load? 

Yes, that is underload in the real world use, it is where you should be configuring your settings, as against stress programs like FurMark > http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

I have only been messing with it for a bit but I was running Elder Scrolls then at and around 75C to 77C. Definitely nowhere near 84C. I didn't hit 80C. I also read a post about RivaTuner Statistics Server which came with Afterburner. Someone suggested making it hold the FPS to no more than 60FPS. I also did that.

So all and all I have seen some progress. Would you consider low to mid 70C's decent for running a graphic intense game?

Even though I said the 84C is a bit hot, it is still safe, 11C below the thermal point where the card will start to throttle back, it is still safe and will not damage the card.

The lower you set the temp, the faster the fan will spin and when it can no longer maintain that set temp, the card will throttle back, you will not reach your best perofrmance.

Riva Tuner is a better option.   Make sure to set the default setting in Afterburner. Max out the settings in Elder Scrolls, Limit the FPS to 60 with Riva. test.

What FPS do you get and what temps?

The Elder Scrolls is supported by Geforce experience, so I would also give that a try. Links in reply #17.

Question 1: Which be better. Have the higher gpu temp with the slower fan speed or the lower gpu temp with higher fan speed.

Question 2: Have visual settings set around the high range. Should I go lower. Perhaps I'm trying to pull too much out of it.

A,1. That's a personal choice, for me having a uieter system is more imprtant, providing the temps are acceptable. 

A 2. You need to find a balance point, the highest possible settings with what is acceptable game play for you.   

You are very welcome :thumbsup:  No need for any apologies, we all have to start at the beginning :rockon:

Porkins76

Porkins76

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks so much Iamm for your feedback. I did try the optimize tool through the GeForce Experience app which configured my settings pretty high. I was also using RivaTuner also. My max temp reached 80C a few times but didn't maintain there like before. Oh and I did have the default settings for Afterburner running also.

One thing though was that at times my fps would drop to 20 or so. But at certain places in the game it would at times hit as high as in the 50's to 60. Through research I did read that ESO has issues with fps especially in town areas as well as having a lot of dips. Never really any consistant fps or anything.

So that being said my next test will be lowering the settings some to see if I can get some better fps as well as a bit lower of a temp. I'm just paranoid about temp. So far I have ranged from High to Medium settings with variations in between. Just trying to find the best balance for me.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Oh and on the funny side, I have actually been enjoying the research and fine tuning about all this stuff more than actually playing any games so far. Hahhaha the learning has been really fun for some reason.

Maybe I'm just weird.

:geek: