Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get home network to see wireless printer

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

I have a home network centered around an SMCD3GNV modem/router. I have two desktops plugged into the ethernet and I have a laptop, two tablets and a few smartphones that use the wireless, and then there's one telephone plugged in. This all works pretty good; I recently added a repeater so I could get better signal throughout my house. Now it all works very well. I have a wireless printer at work and it works great so when our old Lexmark printer recently gave out, I wanted to try wireless printing at home so I bought a Canon MG2920 wireless printer. Long story short, I cannot get any of my devices, whether wireless or ethernet to see the printer. The printer tells me it sees the network but nothing sees the printer. I go through the printer setup on any and all of the devices, even the phones and tablets, and nothing sees the printer. The Modem is setup as WPA2-Personal security, with 802.11n protocol. Do I need to change this, or could the problem possibly be the repeater?

Advertisements

amarkkassery

amarkkassery

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Does the printer have an ethernet port? If it  does, can you connect your printer to the LAN port of your router, and check to see if you can access the printer from any computer? If it does, then please try WiFi without security as I have mentioned below.

How are you able to see that the Printer sees the network?

Can you disable your WiFi security (only until troubleshooting is complete), and check to see if you can access your printer from a computer? If it does, then please re-enable your WiFi Security, but change from WPA2 to WEP, and check to see that you can access your printer from a computer.

Please let us know how it goes until this step, and we can take it further from there.

brettt777

brettt777

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Does the printer have an ethernet port? If it  does, can you connect your printer to the LAN port of your router, and check to see if you can access the printer from any computer? If it does, then please try WiFi without security as I have mentioned below.

How are you able to see that the Printer sees the network?

Can you disable your WiFi security (only until troubleshooting is complete), and check to see if you can access your printer from a computer? If it does, then please re-enable your WiFi Security, but change from WPA2 to WEP, and check to see that you can access your printer from a computer.

Please let us know how it goes until this step, and we can take it further from there.

I am assuming that the printer is seeing the modem because the Wi-Fi LED is on. Don't know for sure because the network configuration from the printer tells me the signal strength is 0%. Canon tells me this printer should work wireless with the repeater as long as it's operating on 2.4ghz, which I'm not 100% sure it is because I'm not sure the repeater will do 2.4ghz. Anyway, I'll try the security thing when I get back home and see what happens.

Thanks a million for the reply.