Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Update doesnt recognise my Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

cwcltd

cwcltd

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Recently when I try to update windows XP I get a screen saying this is only for windows users.

To make matters worse, Ive just tried Office Update and it says it doesn't support the Mac operating system! I really am using a PC with Windows XP Home! Any thoughts would be more than welcome!!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Are you using Internet Explorer as your browser??

Did your system come with XP or did you upgrade to it??

Murray

cwcltd

cwcltd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes I'm using IE6 and the computer had XP installed and has the 25 character validation code on the back

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Okay.. when you get to the Windows Update website, are you getting the option to verify your Windows install??

Murray

cwcltd

cwcltd

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
not on the WIndows update site, but earlier today I did try to download a "fix" which asked me to validate - so I put in the 25 letter key, validated successfully and then got the message that I already had that fix installed so needn't download it again. I then went back to Update and got the same -"this is only for Windows users" screen