Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HPSA.exe has stopped working

Support Assistance

• Please log in to reply

Gene R

Gene R

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

I'm working on a HP Pailion g6 - 2238 Notebook PC, initially Windows 8 and latter updated to 8.1. It started popping up a dialog box while using the internet (in IE, Chrome and Mozilla Firefox) stating HPSA.exe has stopped working.

I googled the issue and found a site that said to uninstall it and find the file and reinstalled (after a restart didn't correct it first, which it didn't). When I did that and restarted I couldn't connect to a wifi network, in fact it wouldn't even find any wifi networks to connect to.

Device Manger specified it was  Atheros AR9485 802.11 b|g|n adaptor.

I downloaded a driver from Qualcom and it turned out to be the same one already installed but didn't resolve the issue either. I then went to HP.com and finally found their driver for it (it was the same as installed also). Installing both of these did not resolve the issue which to me indicates the drive isn't corrupt.

Any suggestions? I ran Malwarebytes and it found 196 items and I removed them all. Performed a soft reset (all power and network cables removed and held the power button in for ~15- 30 seconds. Still no effect.

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

First i suggest you to restore to previous point where you install some software which cause your wifi issue.

Then we go for HPSA issue.

As you said uninstall it first.

Then run a MS-Fixit from here.

Then install the current version from here.

Edited by Dashing star, 19 August 2015 - 06:20 AM.

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to do your steps above but I can't get Fix-it to download so I can run it on the other laptop. Also it can't connect to the internet anyway.
I've downloaded the self-support options. can I go ahead and run it on the other laptop w/o a connection?

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

:oops: Sorry for my mistakes.  :(

Do download fixit from another pc and run it on the pc that have the issue.

Also download current verson of HP support assistant(HPSA) from other laptop and copy it in flash drive and then use it on your pc with issue.

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Okay, I saved the Fix-it file to a flash and attempted to run it on the 'broken' laptop. It started and within a moment or two this popped up:

"Troubleshooting cannot continue because an error hos occurred
We're sorry, but the program encountered an error trying t contact the server. Please try again later.
To download a utility to troubleshoot this problem click here.

[Code 800706D9]"

Remember, it cannot connect to any network (wifi)and does not show any connections in the network connections list.

I've been working on this from a hotel. I'll be back home this weekend and will be able to connect via an Ethernet cable. Do you think I should be able to get a connection that way???

Again, thanks for your assistance!

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you do the system restore step i mentioned above?

Gene R

Gene R

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

yes, I got the system disks and did a total restore and it was okay until I went to CNN.com to set as home page and something took over again. I'm going to restore again and not use cnn and see if it any better. I'll do that over the weekend and let you know.

Sorry for the late replly, been a busy week @ work.... I'll post again Monday.