Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Why did my computer (on a UPS and generator) crash!?

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

We are having a power outage.  I have the computer on a UPS and a whole house generator.  Everything worked normally; UPS kept the computer powered, and the generator kicked in 30 seconds later.

The computer just crashed.  I think I know why, but would like some confirmation.

My freezer is not on a generator powered circuit.  After 3 hours I figured it would be good to get some electricity to it.  The closest powered outlet happened to be the UPS.  I plugged it into a battery powered outlet on the UPS rather then a surge protected only outlet; didn't think it mattered.  It was fine for a while, and then the computer crashed.  I am thinking that the freezer came on and needed more power than the UPS could deliver, so the UPS tripped out.  I am surprised the UPS capacity mattered when it was on the generator, but have no other explanation.

Does that make sense, or should I look further for a problem.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

A UPS has load limits, regardless of the incoming power. As well, a UPS does not tend to like motors, which have a very high startup current, although for a brief period of time.

So, yes, that makes sense.