Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 storage problem. Hardly any space left. Help

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

I upgraded to windows 10 a few weeks back. I had a popup on my notifications about storage last night so clicked it. I was surprised to find most of my storage space is being taken up. I had loads left before the upgrade.

I am not computer savvy so I will explain best I can sorry. Here are some screenshots of my c drive

windows_zpsdgb3elws.jpg

help2_zpsxziflz3q.jpg

help_zpsq6of5iet.jpg

Things in this other file are taking up a lot of space. When I click the top two items in the other file they are dated the date I upgraded to 10.

Things I have tried: I did windows clear disc space thing. That didn't work. Only things like the recycle bin got deleted despite checking to delete temporary files they are still there. So I  ownloaded a free trial of CC Cleaner and that came up that it skipped  deleting old versions of windows and eveything esle I tried deleting.  Storage is still the same.  I am the only person who uses the laptop and my account says administrator but I seem to be unable to delete these things.

What could these other files be? I used to have lloads of storage. All I have done is install windows 10 (I had 8.1 before) and also I created a system restore point after that and also created a recovery USB.

Can anyone please help me. I need step by step guides I am afraid if it's complicated stuff. Thanks very much (I'm in the UK so may be a delay reponding to replies depending on the time)

Edited by Marieukxx, 19 August 2015 - 04:07 PM.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Did you select options during disk cleanup, one similar to below, along with recycle bin other unwanted options also?

temp3.png

Did you restart your pc after doing disk cleanup?

see here  for disk cleanup steps.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Thanks for your reply. Yes I selected the options of what I wanted to delete. It says it's doing it but then it doesn't if you know what I mean.Everything is still the same no matter how many times I do it. Manually deleting doesn't work either. I checked and under my name and microsoft login details it says Administrator. Yes I restarted several times but still no joy.

Edited by Marieukxx, 20 August 2015 - 07:17 AM.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Fixed it!!!! :spoton:

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Glad to hear your problem solved!  :D

Did you tell that which solves your issue? :confused:  As it helpful for someone else here!  ;)

Regards

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

I took a plunge and ddeleted the other file. I figured it was creeated the date I upgraded so something there was up. Did that and the laptop is running fine and I have all my space back.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Thanks for explaining!  :thumbsup:

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Suspect that what you deleted was the backup files that windows needed if you did decide to go back to your previous version OS.