Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

after fan replacement, my laptop will not boot normally (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

yes. it boots up without issue except the pop up that windows desktop manager has stopped working

speccy attached

Edited by phillpower2, 14 October 2015 - 12:09 PM.
Speccy log removed for seurity.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Will come back to the desktop manager** issue shortly but for now can we have a Speccy url and not a Speccy log, the log that you attached was removed as it contained the product key for Windows 7.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

** Most likely Windows and not hardware related.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I apologize, I never used speccy before

http://speccy.pirifo...lGVteVbs3JfJIxF

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

No need for any apology, it was your OS product key being included that was my concern  ;)

The true capacity of your 1TB HDD is detected by Speccy and you should therefore be able to recover the presently lost space;

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management and see if you can extend the C: partition to include the missing storage space.

JAFYI: If you add the storage space up in Speccy it comes to around 698GB, this is the amount you get when you clone a 750GB HDD to a 1TB HDD.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

how do i extend the C: partition? i have never messed with any of this before

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Your new HDD should be showing unallocated storage space on it, can you grab a screenshot of it and attach it to your next reply for us to check.

Off back to work for a few hours shortly but will check back later.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I used aomei partition assistant to do it as they were not adjacent. it was an easy to use program. I now have 916 gb on the C drive. I guess the next question is do I delete all the old data from the secondary disk?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Good job on your behalf  :thumbsup:

For now I would keep the 750GB HDD in a safe place and give the new HDD a week of use to make sure that all is still well and then decide.

If you are still getting the desktop manager not working message, create a new restore point and then run the Windows AIO repair tool to see if that resolves the issue, I would do this before installing any third party software such as games ect.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I already tried the repair with tweaking.com repair tool, didn't work.

thank you for helping me with this

Edited by gregahoffman, 15 October 2015 - 09:49 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

I suspect that a Windows 7 Repair Installation may be required to resolve this and for that you will need the appropriate Windows 7 media, no longer so straight forward since MS pulled the plug on Digital River where up until a point you could use your HP OEM product key to download the required ISO, HP do provide such media but I am not sure if it is still available in your particular circumstances, check here

Alternatively, make a note of the present Windows 7 product key, upgrade to Windows 10 (for free) if you dont like Windows 10 you can roll back to Windows 7 " how to " here

Advertisements

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

the desktop manager doesn't seem to cause any problems at this time

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts

Not sure what you are telling us in your reply #71  :(

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I meant that the desktop manager not working is not causing any problems that I notice

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,788 posts
Gotcha  :thumbsup:

You may find that the Aero theme is not working in Windows 7, no biggy to many people who do not have the spec to support it which you do, first of all though check out the steps below that I copy/paste courtesy of MS;

1. Click the Windows 7  orb (Start) in the bottom left-hand corner of your screen.
2. Type in: "Services.msc" (without the quotes) into the Start Search text box, if prompted by the UAC, provide a password or confirmation. Click Continue.
3. Scroll down until you locate the entry that is labeled: “Desktop Window Manager Session Manager”
4. Right-click on this service. Select Start from the context menu.
5. Right click once again on the entry. Select Properties from the context menu.
6. Go to the “General tab.” Change the Start up Type to "Enabled." Click OK.

JAFYI, AVG was mentioned in a couple of threads as having been installed previous to the problem starting, was the issue present on your machine before you installed AVG (free)

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I have always use avg and never encountered this problem before