Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backup takes 5 cd's

• Please log in to reply

pdl2

pdl2

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but is there a quick way to choose files for backup? my backup takes 5 cd's and I don't think I have that many files that need backed up? What size flash drive equals 5 cd's?      Can I reuse an old set of backup cd's to make a new backup? Say I have two sets of cd's and backup over the oldest set.       Windows 7

Thanks,

pdl2

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello pdl2,

No such thing as a stupid question so never hesitate to ask if you need help  :thumbsup:

Before commenting on your questions can I first ask what you are trying to back up, pictures, music, videos etc a screenshot of Disk Manager will also help to give us an idea of how much data may be involved, see steps below;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

pdl2

pdl2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Thanks Phil

disk management screen shot.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sorry to be a nuisance pdl2 but can you post an expanded screenshot of Disk Manager, my mistake as I should have mentioned needing a full screen in my reply #2  :(

can I first ask what you are trying to back up, pictures, music, videos etc

We need to know the answer to this for various reasons one of which is would the option to clone the HDD to another HDD be a better idea.

You are welcome btw pdl2  :)

pdl2

pdl2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Phil,

By expanded, do you mean open the Disk Manager to full size and then take screen shot?  Sorry for delay have been dealing with A/C problems.

Thanks,

pdl2

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Yes that is what he means. We need to see the full size of the hard drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for answering 123Runner  :thumbsup:

pdl2, no rush, reply when you are able to, one of us will be around  :)

pdl2

pdl2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• disk management screen shot.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Thanks for the updated screenshot :thumbsup:

You have not used an awful lot of space on the C: drive which is good but it depends on what you wish to back up from it the most appropriate way you should go, I asked in my reply #2  "what you are trying to back up, pictures, music, videos etc" can you answer this for us.

JAFYI: With having a 1TB HDD it would have been better if when Windows was installed it was installed to its own partition on the HDD and the remaining space used for the recovery partition and the EFI System on their own partitions as they are and the remaining space used for data only storage, had this been done you could have created a new partition with which you could back up to and without worrying about interfering with the other partitions, this can still be done but with care as Windows is on the main C: drive/partition.

pdl2

pdl2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Just need to back up music, a few pictures and some excel/word files.  Why wouldn't HP have set up the hard drive that way?

thanks,

pdl2

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You can manually copy your music, pictures and spreadsheets from their present location to the storage device of your choice, for such a small amount of data you can use USB thumb drives, an 8 or 16GB thumb drive would be plenty atm, some tips here

Brand name computers do not have their HDDs partitioned in such a way as it takes time + not all users have the same preferences, for example, some people prefer multiple partitions for their different types of data.

You are welcome  :)

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

You can use a program like Syncback

It is free and you can copy folders and/or individual files.

It does it automatically after you have it set up.

pdl2

pdl2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Thanks Phil & 123Runner

pdl2

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are most welcome from us both and thank you for the follow up pdl2  :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you pdl2, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.