Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Annoying error message continually pops up

• Please log in to reply

GregMiller

GregMiller

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

I have a Toshiba Satellite T235- S1370 Running Window 7 Home Edition. I am using Word Starter 2010. As I type, this error message pops up. I click the OK and it goes away fro 20 seconds and then returns. It will not stop. This is the error message

The error message " splwow64.exe - Application Error  The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000005). Click OK to close the application

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

What anti-virus are you using? Try disabling it and see what happens.

Also try booting top safe mode, see what happens there.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

I am using Avast.

I will try out your suggestions when I get home from work tonight and I'll reply with the results.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

I'll get to this today. I'll be away for 10 days next week so I have to wrap this up soon. Sorry for the delay.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

I went in to safe mode and nothing I click on opens.

Then I remembered that I hadn't tried a system restore. There was only one restore point, Sept 3, a windows update but that was after I had this problem. I checked the box for previous restore points and it wouldn't show anything.

In Safe mode I couldn't open Avast.

I'm not sure what disabling Avast would do so I assume you were just trying to see if that type of program would open in safe mode? Otherwise, no idea- I need Avast so I'm not sure what you were trying to find out.

Anyway, what next?

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

I just temporarily disabled Avast -

i get differed error messages when I open differed programs

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

I was wondering if Avast was the cause of the problem which is sometimes the case, where an anti-virus program is interferring with normal operation.

Doing a bit more searching I found this:  http://answers.micro...0abdbdda?auth=1

which says their problem was caused by running the 32 bit version of Office on a 64 bit system. They uninstalled the 32 and installed 64 and the problem went away.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

This has always been a 6-byte operation - I've only loaded 64-bit programs. I use the WORD 2010 Starter version that came with the unit. It was there I first got the error message. I'll chec out that link, though.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

The message comes up in the middle of any program that I switch to. The information in that link only partially applied to my situation I think.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Some information:

Splwow64.exe is a Windows core system file. The program runs in the background and is not normally visible. It is a trustworthy resource created by Microsoft. Task Manger lists it as the “Printer driver host for 32 bit applications.” In other words, splwow64.exe allows 32-bit applications to connect with the 64-bit printer spooler service on x64 Windows builds.

Is your OS 32 or 64 bit? If it's 64 bit and Word 2010 Starter is 32 bit then the link I gave you does apply. Unfortunately, I don't know any way for you to get a 64 bit version of Word 2010 Starter.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

I am having a tough time understanding this.

Let's just review some ideas here.

I purchased this Toshiba about 5 years ago. It is a 64-bit system.

Windows 2010 Starter Edition came packaged with the unit.

I have been WORD processing for all this time and never had a problem.

Three weeks ago I started getting this error message. I did mention that it popped up while I was word processing using WORD 2010 Starter. But this message pops up anytime when I am using any program. It is not specific nor limited to WORD. In fact, as I was typing this reply, it came up twice.

How do you suppose this is related to 2010 WORD Starter, a 32-bit version not being compatible with a system running 64-bit?

So you are saying that WORD Starter 2010 is only available in a 32-bit version. If that is true how can I be running WORD Starter on my 64-bit version?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

No, not saying that at all, sorry. All I'm saying is what other people have reported which may not apply to you. I don't know is Word 2010 Starter is available in 32 and 64 bit since I've never had it and can't find anything on the internet that talks about 32 and 64 bit.

Let's try another direction.

What happened around the time this problem started happening? Did you do a Windows Update, add, update or remove a printer or printer driver?

Maybe rollback the printer driver?

GregMiller

GregMiller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Sorry I was on a trip when you replied.

I had done a system cleanup- ran CC Cleanup. Did a system restore- nothing drastic. Routine cleaning. About a week after, it started happening. Would a lot of my system using a suggested program give you something to go on? Have I erased an essential portion of Windows?