Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen of death, or is it?

Lenovo black screen fan works

• Please log in to reply

Bass.A

Bass.A

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I own a Lenovo G455 and a week ago everytime I switched it on I'd get a black screen while the fan and lights seem to be working fine, normal start up sounds. I assumed it was a bad invertor card or LCD screen problem. I also tried an external monitor and no luck. A few days later I randomly switched it on and screen worked and proceeded to system repair. A few minutes later screen started dimming and showing black horizontal lines, I immediately switched it off thinking its an overheating problem. I disassembled it, cleaned the fan, took out the ram, tried switching it on with one ram inserted then two but its back to the black screen with normal start up sounds. What could this be?

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello Bass.A  :welcome: ,

I also tried an external monitor and no luck. 

To make sure if there is issue in LCD screen you have to connect it to external monitor, but if it is only screen issue your external monitor have showed something on it but it did not working so that may be you have graphic card issue.

Did you hear beeps without inserting RAM?

Bass.A

Bass.A

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Nope no beeps

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Nope no beeps

You did not hear beeps without RAM? But generally we have to hear beeps without RAM, if you did not hear beeps then there should be issue with Motherboard itself, Can you clean the laptop?

• Turn off the laptop and remove the battery
  • Remove the mouse, any discs or CDs, USB keys and anything else that is connected or protruding from your laptop
  • Use the can of compressed air,

1. Remove all the screw from the laptop and open the panel do not touch anything 
  2. Your laptop may have a bottom panel (or several bottom panels) you can unscrew to access the internals. Check your laptop’s manual, or look up a special “service manual” for your specific model of laptop online. Power down the laptop, remove the battery, and unscrew the panel to get at the laptop’s insides. If a service manual is available for your laptop, it will walk you through the process. Depending on your laptop, opening the panel may or may not void your warranty.
  3. After it’s open, take the laptop somewhere you don’t mind getting dusty — like your garage, or even outside. Use a can of compressed air to blow out the internals of your laptop. Ensure you’re blowing the dust out of the laptop’s case, not just moving it around inside. For example, you could blow more toward your laptop’s vents so the dust would be blasted through the vents and out of the laptop. Be careful when blowing air at the fans in the laptop — if you make the fans spin too quickly, they could be damaged. Blow at the fans from many different angles, using short blasts of air.
  4. We recommend compressed air — also known as canned air — for a reason. Don’t use a vacuum, and be extra careful if you opt to use an air compressor instead of a can of compressed air.
  5. When you’re done, you can screw the panel back on, plug in the battery, and power the laptop back on. It’ll run cooler, and its fans should spin up less often.