Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Run Seatools from USB flashdrive

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi terry1966,

Bad news.... I gave up. :( I tried everything I could possibly think of and nothing worked so I contacted ASUS and sent the notebook back to them. Yep! It is out warranty so it's going to cost BIG bucks to fix what started out as a failed W10 upgrade.

I would like to thank you for your time and effort. I really do appreciate it.

Donna :)

Advertisements

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Donna, don't feel bad at all. My windows 10 upgrade got botched as well. Although I haven't had nearly the same issues as you have.

I am curious though (I just skimmed the topic at hand)... Had you given Hiren's BootCD a try? I've found it's saved me, and a few of the systems I own and worked on.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Alan1998,

No CD/DVD drive. :( I know that Hiren's has a USB version, but no matter what I tried I could not get the notebook to boot from the USB. Only thing I did not try was to slave the drive.

It was my sons notebook and I have no idea what my daughter in law had did to it before he brought it to me. I ran a FRST scan from the RE and it was as if the Windows partition did not exist anymore.

I have talked to several people who experienced issues with that upgrade. Then again others had no issues at all. Wonder why?? I hid the update on my W7. I am sure MS offered that upgrade for good reason (from their point of view) but, if I want W10, I'll go buy a computer that has it installed.

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

That is extremely odd not to have a USB boot device option... It's even more odd not to have the partition either... I experienced a similar issue when I BSOD'd the other night. Wiped a significant amount of data including all my windows files. (What a mess that was. Of 1 1/2TB's of info stored, I got back about 85GB. The majority, Steam Games..).

The upgrade solution offered by MS seems to be unstable, but stable at the same time.. Wish they would fix it though. I had 4 minute boot times, and xboot botched everything up..

Side note: I'm not sure what kind of hardware you have access too... It may have been possible to get a USB 2.0 to External CD/DVD though. Although, it may not have helped any...

It's unforntunate this couldn't be resolved in a better manner.

~Alan

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Yeah. It is successful for some and not so for others. I would love to know why. What do the failures have in common, if anything? (just thinking out loud)

I do have external enclosures around for both 2.5 and 3.5's. I should have tried slaving that bad boy before I sent it off to ASUS support even just for funnsies, but time was not on my side...

I agree. I came across some pretty bad situations while researching trying to fix this. Here's another similar to mine... I would love to see what his diskpart > list partitions displays......

Alan1998

Alan1998

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Yeah. It is successful for some and not so for others. I would love to know why. What do the failures have in common, if anything? (just thinking out loud)

I do have external enclosures around for both 2.5 and 3.5's. I should have tried slaving that bad boy before I sent it off to ASUS support even just for funnsies, but time was not on my side...

I agree. I came across some pretty bad situations while researching trying to fix this. Here's another similar to mine... I would love to see what his diskpart > list partitions displays......

Hi, I went through that thread as well. The system that turned on you was Windows 8.1.. I'm wondering if Seagate tools is designed for Windows 8?

Since it came with Windows 8 it must be a UEFI/GPT system. You need to create a UEFI/GPT structured flash drive to do the clean install from.

Option one or two here: USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 will help you do that.

Found an Answer.

I don't think much more could've been done to be honest. You tried just about everything I can think of, off the top of my head.

Edited by Alan1998, 22 September 2015 - 03:32 AM.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Hi terry1966,

Bad news.... I gave up. :( I tried everything I could possibly think of and nothing worked so I contacted ASUS and sent the notebook back to them. Yep! It is out warranty so it's going to cost BIG bucks to fix what started out as a failed W10 upgrade.

I would like to thank you for your time and effort. I really do appreciate it.

Donna :)

sorry for late reply been away for a week, always frustrates me when i know if i had the machine in my hands i could have fixed it or at least found out where the problem was but was unable to help you solve what should have been a simple problem long distance.

fingers crossed i'll at least be able to get bhowetts up and running as long as it's not a failed hard drive which it does look like.

being in the know so to speak donna, is the win10 upgrade known to mess up the hard drives so much that a simple low level format and recreation of the partition table and file system is required before anything can be installed to them again?

:popcorn:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
That's ok Terry. I wished I had seen Ztruckers possible fix prior to sending off the notebook. I read so much on this situation, I don't recall if you had suggested that as well and I just overlooked it.

Anyways, it appears we have another travesty here that I have been following. Different cause, same end result. If you look at the FRST logs that the OP posted at emeraldnzl's request, the ones from my notebook were identical.

Anxious to see if they get this resolved. Good luck with BHowetts.

being in the know so to speak donna, is the win10 upgrade known to mess up the hard drives so much that a simple low level format and recreation of the partition table and file system is required before anything can be installed to them again?

I am not quite sure how that works, to tell the truth. I thought I read somewhere that once W10 was installed, that it wrote over the whole drive and the old version of the OS was stored in a "Windows.old" folder and the only way to roll back was with a special tool that was "baked" into Windows 10, and designed to allow users to revert to their previous version of Windows if they decided that W10 was not for them. Then again, that option would only be available for one month after installing Windows 10. After that time you will have to do a complete reinstall. Most average user wouldn't think to create a back image much less create the recovery USB media for W8 as my son had not so a fresh install (full nuke and repave as in my case) would probably be the only solution.

I was looking at a "refurbished" laptop that had W10 installed that a friend of mine who owns a tech shop was selling after the owner did not return for it and he said it had the W8 recovery partition on it, so I assume that if you restored to factory you would end up with w8, so I really have no idea how the recovery partition for W8 could be intact if W10 wipes the drive when W10 is installed.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

That's ok Terry. I wished I had seen Ztruckers possible fix prior to sending off the notebook. I read so much on this situation, I don't recall if you had suggested that as well and I just overlooked it.

no i never got around to suggest a full nuke and clean install because you couldn't get any usb device to boot in the first place so would not have been possible until that was resolved.

that link you posted just takes me to a sign language site. https://www.signings...ign/FEED/1330/1so no idea what the logs look like. :D

be interested in what the repair report says when you get the laptop back though.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
:rofl:  Ooops! Too funny. Here's the link I intended.

I'll keep you informed when I get the notebook back. I am curious as well as to what the repair report says..

Advertisements

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

one thing i have noticed is it seems people are only having problems with the 64bit win 10 upgrades, don't recall seeing anyone having problems when upgrading 32bit systems.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Terry,

That though about 32-bit vs 64-bit crossed my mind as well. I haven't come across any issues with reverting back on 32-bits either, then again I never went searching for ant issues. Most of my research only found 64-bit topics. Could that be because the majority of OS's these days are 64-bits?

Found a link you might be interested in:

How to Uninstall Windows 10 and Downgrade to Windows 7 or 8.1

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

Could that be because the majority of OS's these days are 64-bits?

maybe but personally i think it's because win 10 64bit is failing on it's checks/installs of all/any required 32bit dlls that may be needed/used from any previous os systems.

i assume win 10 64 bit is trying to kill off most 32bit dlls and isn't installing them on purpose because there are now 64bit dlls they use instead but this is causing a lot of problems with updating the systems.

where as with 32bit systems win10 is installing all the required 32bit dlls because of course they are still used and required in win 10 32bit.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

be interested in what the repair report says when you get the laptop back though.

As promised. I received the laptop back yesterday and the Repair Summary states the following:

Symptom: HDD Bad Track

Repair: Replaced SATA3 JAGUAR-B7 500G 5400R 2.

As a side note, I am very disappointed in McAfee. I uninstalled the trial version to reinstall Avast Pro Antivirus and downloaded the MCPR (McAfee Consumer Product Removal) tool from the McAfee site and ended up with infected with some really nasty adware popups and having a difficult getting rid of them all. I have 169 important updates that won't download. Thinking about restoring back to factory yet again and start over, yet again. What a pain!! I also need to purchase a 16G USB so I can create the recovery media before returning the lappy to my son.

What do you know about Macrium Reflect, Terry. I am thinking about creating an image to save on my external, a USB or something as a second back recovery option. Your opinion is most welcome...

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

thanks for the update, so they replaced the drive then, probably best thing even though i've repaired system with bad sectors/tracks that worked for years afterwards without any problems.

I uninstalled the trial version to reinstall Avast Pro Antivirus and downloaded the MCPR (McAfee Consumer Product Removal) tool from the McAfee site and ended up with infected with some really nasty adware popups and having a difficult getting rid of them all.

hope you got in touch with them or someone who's in the know and tight with them, there's no way you should have gotten infected by one of their official downloads, and i'm sure mcafee would want to know and fix that asap.

Thinking about restoring back to factory yet again and start over, yet again.

personally i would before getting to far into updating things. curious though about the malware because i'd have thought it unlikely an official mcafee download would contain malware and does make me wonder if something was already installed on the machine straight from the factory, maybe it would be worth scanning the drive in another pc just to make sure. i'm pretty sure i've read about cases where malware was installed on drives that have come back from being repaired or replaced before, just not sure how prevalent or likely that scenario maybe but might be worth checking out anyway.

What a pain!! I also need to purchase a 16G USB so I can create the recovery media before returning the lappy to my son.

What do you know about Macrium Reflect, Terry. I am thinking about creating an image to save on my external, a USB or something as a second back recovery option. Your opinion is most welcome...

macrium reflect is a great program and one i recommend everyone should use to create a backup image of their drives, personally i don't use it because i'm more of a linux guy so use clonzilla or just dd to make my images, but with any new machine i work on the very first thing i do and recommend everyone should do, after making sure everything is updated and all needed programs are installed is to create a complete set of backup dvd's containing an image of the drive (usually takes about 6 dvd's if i remember correctly.) as well as create the recovery disk, then i'd create another backup image on either an external drive or large usb stick that would be used for doing any restores where as the dvd's are put away somewhere safe as a backup, backup solution so to speak.

been a while since i created a usb recovery stick but 16Gb seems a bit big to me and think you only need a 4GB stick if my memory isn't playing tricks with me again.

Edited by terry1966, 07 October 2015 - 11:26 AM.