Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer hangs right after boot

• Please log in to reply

rajagopal

rajagopal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Hi Dashing star,

• HomeGroup Provider - STATUS: started STARTUP TYPE: manual
  • Function Discovery Provider Host - STATUS: started STARTUP TYPE: manual
  • Computer Browser - STATUS: started STARTUP TYPE: automatic
  • Server - STATUS: started STARTUP TYPE: automatic 

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Ok How many RAM's you have in your laptop?

rajagopal

rajagopal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

My laptop has 2 slots for RAM and each slot has 2G of RAM. Totally my laptop has 4G RAM

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Just follow my steps:

1) Switch off the Laptop and Remove one of those RAM's from the slot and reboot your pc.

2) Note that after Reboot you experience any freezing? if yes then switch off the laptop.

3) Put the removed RAM back in the slot and pull out another RAM from the slot and boot the pc.

post back what you experience with running your laptop with single RAM each time.  :)

rajagopal

rajagopal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Hi Dashing star,

When you asked me to get speccy snapshot on normal mode, I had trouble booting my laptop in normal mode, chkdsk ran automatically on boot and I posted the chkdsk logs to you.  After that chkdsk run, I did not see my laptop freezing. 

As part of clean up steps with emeraldnzl I disabled all startup services and all non-microsoft services in my laptop. I am wondering if I should re-enable these services and see if my laptop freezes again..

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello rajagopal,

If you think it is good with disabling startup services please do that and inform us whether it is freezing or not!  ;)

Hope all will be fine!  :)

Regards

rajagopal

rajagopal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Hi Dashing star,

1. I plugged out  memory 1 from its slot and booted my computer - No freezing happened

2. Now I plugged in memory 1 in its slot

3. I plugged out  memory 2 from its slot and booted my computer - Computer did not boot

4. Now I plugged out memory 1 from its slot and I plugged it in other(memory 2) slot -> Computer booted no freezing happened

It seems like the slot in which memory 1 is plugged in is having issues.

Also,

In msconfig -> General -> I selected selective startup and under msconfig -> startup I selected some services to start during boot. Originally we (me and emaraldnzl)
disabled all startup services. So I modified it now to select some services to start during boot.

Also originally we ( me and emeraldnzl) disabled all non -microsoft services under msconfig  -> services. I modified that too -> msconfig -> services -> selected
Hide all microsoft services -> Enable all

Also I did restart  my laptop after making changes under msconfig.

No freezing happened so far.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

1. I plugged out  memory 1 from its slot and booted my computer - No freezing happened

2. Now I plugged in memory 1 in its slot

3. I plugged out  memory 2 from its slot and booted my computer - Computer did not boot

4. Now I plugged out memory 1 from its slot and I plugged it in other(memory 2) slot -> Computer booted no freezing happened

It seems like the slot in which memory 1 is plugged in is having issues.

:spoton: !!!!!!!!!!!!

what is that your Memory 1 is the faulty one or the one that having issue!

Go with this for few days and update us if you have further issues!... If you need to speed up your laptop, put some suitable RAM in your laptop!

rajagopal

rajagopal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Hi dashing star,

It seems like the actual memory 1 is not having issue. But the slot in which it is plugged in is having issue.

If I remove memory 1 from it's current slot and put it in the other empty slot, my computer boots fine.. Is it possible for the laptop memory "slot" to be having issues?

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

It seems like the actual memory 1 is not having issue. But the slot in which it is plugged in is having issue.

If I remove memory 1 from it's current slot and put it in the other empty slot, my computer boots fine.. Is it possible for the laptop memory "slot" to be having issues?

:oops:  I misunderstood!

There is possibility of memory slot which is faulty! Even there is no reasons and explanations of why it is faulty, from my experience i see lots of faulty RAM slots  in the motherboard neither than RAM. 

Subject to No Issues other than faulty RAM slots, Any other queries?  :geek:

Advertisements

rajagopal

rajagopal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

No freezing observed so far.. Only once yesterday my laptop abruptly turned off.. Other than that one instance, it looks fine ! :)

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

No freezing observed so far.. Only once yesterday my laptop abruptly turned off.. Other than that one instance, it looks fine ! :)

Glad to hear your problem solved!  :thumbsup:

If you have any queries, don't hesitate  to ask!  ;)

Regards :wave:

rajagopal

rajagopal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts
Hi Dashing star,

My laptop started becoming super slow and I just noticed this - Speccy shows my laptop has only 2 GB of RAM(http://speccy.pirifo...46ZyOp1Hgie3C0z). That's probably because one of the memory "slot" is faulty. 

But if you look at the original speccy snapshot link that I posted here 3 weeks back (http://speccy.pirifo...LDtF2DoecuClXik) it shows 4 GB available detected RAM. So I think, the memory slot somehow stopped working after I dismantled my laptop to clean up the heat sink fan. I don't think the faulty memory slot was the reason why my laptop started freezing originally.