Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook express and Microsoft Outlook

• Please log in to reply

Caine

Caine

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm running a Win2k, and can no longer use either of these programs. There's been a litany of troubles and error messages with both these programs, for the last few years, which started I think around the time win2k sp3 was installed. And to be honest I've just ignored them, and used other ways to email. Problem is, I'm now unable to install critical updates which relate to these programs. Take for example KB897715 which was released today for Outlook express:
http://www.geekstogo..._05-t35580.html

The install failed using IE's windowsupdate, so I attempted to open Outlook express and find out which version it is, in order to download and install the update manually, on it's own. However, I got the message

Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be loaded

so I'm not sure which update to install. :tazz:

Microsofts advice here is to:

To resolve this behavior, back up your Outlook Express data, and manually remove and reinstall Outlook Express

So, what is the best way to go about this procedure properly;
1. backing up important info to put it back later,
2. completely cleaning all traces of microsoft outlook, and outlook express (neither of which work any more) without removing or damaging windows irrepairably, and,
3. reinstalling outlook from the microsoft office 97 cd safely, and the updates and patches that are needed when it's done.

Thanks for any help, I know there's a lot there to be working on. ;)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well the only real data about outlook that you need to keep is your connection stuff. honestly if you just right down your mail server info you should be fine.

you should be able to just use add/remove programs to remove the software

and then just install it and don't go to the update page through explorer go to the microsoft office page and go to their update section it will scan your machine and give you the office updates that you need. (outlook is part of office)

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

just right down your mail server info you should be fine.

View Post

How can I do this? Because Outlook express won't open AT ALL!!! And Microsoft Outlook's keeps saying things like "cannot complete request" or something similar

View Post

Great, thanks I'll do that so, once the last step is done.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you use outlook to get mail from your account with y our ISP? if this is the case you can call their support and get that info as far as the mail server stuff.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I'm actually doing this for someone, but it looks like that's the case. His email address is users_name at ISPname.net. Does that make sense?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah. then you would want them to call the isp and get the pop3 server info and the smtp server info

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Cool, thanks dsenette. :tazz:

I'll get onto them tomorrow morning so. And I'll let you know if it works out then. ;)

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

View Post

I can't see either Microsoft Outlook OR Outlook Express in Add/remove programs. Are you sure this is how it's uninstalled?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you see microsoft office in the add remove programs wizard you can click that and then click change. this will allow you to remove just the outlook portion of microsoft office

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
I tried to remove just Outlook from Microsoft Office, but when I goto add/remove programs and click "change", in the add or remove features in the Office installer it won't let me just uninstall Outlook. And when I click on it in the list it says "Microsoft Outlook will be installed with only the selected options." It seems to be trying to install it again. :tazz:

I tried to use the "Repair Office" option instead, but It will have to wait till I can get the correct office CD back after the weekend.

Advertisements

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Take for example KB897715 which was released today for Outlook express:
http://www.geekstogo..._05-t35580.html

The install failed using IE's windowsupdate, so I attempted to open Outlook express and find out which version it is, in order to download and install the update manually, on it's own. However, I got the message  so I'm not sure which update to install.  :tazz:

View Post

While I'm waiting for the CD back, I'd just like to ask advice on some very weird behaviour since I unsuccessfully tried this particular windowsupdate.Firstly I noticed that there was an executable file for the update placed in D:\WUTemp. Problem being, I never use that drive for anything, keeping it free, and using the C:\ drive for everything. Also, I noticed a whole load of strange new applications appear in the list in my Sygate FW, as follows

d:\08337dac7d9aecb92d\update\update.exe
d:\3ac93c91a3ab2f2b3c7051\update\update.exe
d:\4659e04d8a2920a15c8d142d69fffb\update\update.exe
d:\ce58782a8f5478ec8b161a2546e29a\update\update.exe
D:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.890046_W2K_SP5_x86_WinSE_142357_Express\Windows2000-KB890046-x86-Express-ENU.EXE
D:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.893066_W2K_SP5_x86_WinSE_TP21_142201_Express\Windows2000-KB893066-v2-x86-Express-ENU.EXE
D:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.896358_W2K_SP5_x86_WinSE_157097_Express\Windows2000-KB896358-x86-Express-ENU.EXE
D:\WUTemp\com_microsoft.896422_W2K_SP5_x86_WinSE_151587_Express\Windows2000-KB896422-x86-Express-ENU.EXE

I deleted the folder from WUTemp which contained the update file, but I'm not sure what to do about the new entries in Sygate, or why they appeared there. Thet never appeared any other time I used windowsupdate. ;)

[edit: I've discovered on Sygate forums that these entries can be removed no problem]

Edited by Caine, 22 June 2005 - 03:08 AM.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! This is driving me up the wall! :tazz:

...calm blue oceans, happy place, happy place *deep breath*

Ok, here's the deal so far:
I tried to uninstall Microsoft Office in add/remove programs. But when did what I thought was a clean reinstall from the CD, the old info was still in Microsoft Outlook, emails, addresses etc...

So I googled it and the advice was that the uninstall process was not complete for whatever reason using add/remove program, and to remove manually these 2 reg keys:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>Software>Microsoft >Office
&
HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Office

I still have an error message saying "An OLE registration error occurred" though. So, I checked Microsoft KB, and I think it might be because I need to add a service pack or update Microsoft Office or something. So, do I need to install each SP needed in order one at a time, or do I just need to apply the latest update. And where do I find links to the correct updates for this system? [win2k(sp4) with microsoft office 2000]

[edit: I found theOffice product page which (using IE) can scan and tell you which update you need. So I dl'ed the SR1a update and installed it, but the error message persists!!! ;) What else can I try? ]

Edited by Caine, 22 June 2005 - 04:26 AM.

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Bah! Still getting "An OLE registration error occurred" error messages. :tazz:

I've been using Firefox instead of IE for a while now, and I'm wondering if Thunderbird is the way to go with email. Could I get some advice off anyone who knows about Thunderbird if it does roughly the same thing as Outlook?

estople

estople

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
> Bah! Still getting "An OLE registration error occurred" error messages. sad.gif

I've just finished this fight. KB897715 downloads the wrong stuff for OE 6.0. DON'T INSTALL IT. You OE install is now corrupt and you must reinstall a completely new set of files. To make Windows think that OE is not installed, do this:

[Start] [Run] [Regedit], expand to this Registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

Modify/Create the Value Data Type(s) and Value Name(s) as detailed below.

Data Type: DWORD // Value Name: IsInstalled
Setting for Value Data: [Change the Value from 1 to 0]

Exit Regedit and restart. When Windows says that "OE had been removed, do you want to clean up your personal settings?" DON'T. Doing so will bomb the sign-on info.

Once you're back up, download and install OE from here:

http://www.microsoft...sp1/default.asp

Only OE will be installed, so it goes pretty quick. OE should now be updated to the latest version and should run.

Oh, and in the future, when Windows Update asks you to install KB897715, REMOVE IT FROM THE LIST. ;)

:tazz: Thanks to the Elder Geek - http://www.theelderg...ie_and_oe_6.htm

> I've been using Firefox instead of IE for a while now, and I'm wondering if
> Thunderbird is the way to go with email. Could I get some advice off anyone who
> knows about Thunderbird if it does roughly the same thing as Outlook?

Tbird doesn't have all the fancy SLL and authentication support that OE does. I can't use it to log on to my e-mail and the University, so I just use their browser and OE for mail. Sad situation. ;)

Estople "You've got to be KIDDING me!!!" Obis

Caine

Caine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Thank you Estople for a marvellous first post. Modifying the registry key did the trick in persuading windows to reinstall Outlook Express properly. Somehow it also made Microsoft Outlook load now, without the CD... it just starts now. ;)

I've just finished this fight. KB897715 downloads the wrong stuff for OE 6.0. DON'T INSTALL IT. You OE install is now corrupt and you must reinstall a completely new set of files.

Weird! :tazz: Does Microsoft know about this? They mustn't because it's the only update still appearing in the "express microsoft update" scan. And to be honest, I've had these problems with the programs not loading WAY before that KB897715 appeared. I guess if you say so though, I'll ignore it.

One small problem though. I followed your advice as follows:

When Windows says that "OE had been removed, do you want to clean up your personal settings?" DON'T. Doing so will bomb the sign-on info.

yet the settings do seem to have been lost, and there's no connection to the internet with Outlook Express or Microsoft Outlook. ;) When I start OE I get the following Dial-up connection dialogue box:

Select the service you want to connect to, and then enter your username and password

I hit cancel because the "connect to:" drop-down box is empty, and got the following message:

The host 'POP3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'POP3', Server: 'POP3', Port: 110, Secure (SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D

Could someone please explain what I need to enter (and where) so I can connect them back properly?