Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GTX 660 to GTX 750 TI Upgrade

GTX 660 750 TI Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Your Welcome,

Looked at that card, dual fan ASUS brand NVIDIA card GTX Geforce 750Ti not super clocked. Not an electrician to really give you good explanation about watts, amps, voltage.

Good analogy from a forum, So, if you look at a power supply label and it shows that the +12V line supplies 18A of power, that voltage rail can supply a maximum of 216W of power. This may be only a small fraction of say the 450W the power supply is rated at.Now this card says about 150w draw. PSU you have has (2) 12v rails which is good in ways.

Here is answer in ways of consequences,

What are the potential risks of using an improper power configuration for my graphics card?

It depends on the design of your PSU and your GPU. In the ideal case, your GPU or PSU (or both) would simply refuse to work, or power itself off, when it over-draws on the current, thus protecting the motherboards from damage. Attempting to over-draw can cause heat buildup, and in the worst case, fire, because amperage ratings are based on what the wires are rated to handle, based on their resistance (which is another way of saying "heat"). More current, more heat. So you need a lower resistance wire or a good heat dissipation strategy to carry a larger amount of current.

If understand that in ways of taking more from a PSU then it can supply. Fact is you maybe o.k. with this PSU, many who do upgrade sometimes change that part to, when computer companies sell built PC usually do not provide best parts when comes to power supply, assume to save on costs. Matters how much other hardware besides video card you have hooked up. Any other cards in slots besides 1 card you have now ?

Edited by jds63, 22 September 2015 - 01:47 PM.

Advertisements

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

I only have one video card installed, the GTX 660 3gb gddr5, 

http://puu.sh/kkxlp/f6ef71744d.png(Speccy Picture)

There's a case fan next to the motherboard, i assume for creating circulation in the computer, or blowing warm air out of the case.

As noted in the Speccy picture, there is an SSD Drive (60GB)

i am pretty sure that audio and network is built into the motherboard

not sure what else in terms of hardware there is in it.. except for what's shown on speccy, and the case fan.

If there is something you wish that i check for. then let me know.

Edited by TheZorcs, 22 September 2015 - 01:54 PM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I know this is different subject, but is that the only case fan you see,besides the one on CPU on motherboard ? Just that looking at speccy results, temps seem bit high on CPU, GPU and the SSD and other drives, as in 50c range, unless did something with high graphics or games just before posting those results. If this is idle temps then it is a bit high for my liking.

As for other hardware does not show having other slot cards besides original Graphics card. Only give advice on what you reuire for certain upgrades, but can not tell you to buy another PSU, but may be good idea or maybe o.k. for now with unit you have. Wonder if look at ASUS model again to check something on it if lists any upgrade potentials.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

When doing nothing at all with the computer whatsoever, and let the screens go on sleep mode, the GPU's Temperature is roughly 37-45

And the CPU temp is around 28-30

I am currently watching a Livestream using VLC and the Livestreamer Plugin.

Aswell as i have 4 tabs open up chrome.

I have a few minor programs on, such as Speccy, MSI Afterburner, Skype. steam, battenet

But yes, i agree the cooling is not good at all.computer is sitting next to a window which is open 99% of the time.

And yes. that is the only Case fan i see. It only has 1 single case fan that i've noticed. which seems bad.. considering my brother's new computer (I'm using his old) has around 7-8 fans in total in the computer(Counting every single visible fan inside the case. Including the PSU.)

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Guessing that may explain temps being high at time of speccy results, plus fact of case ventilation with not many fans. Hard to see and find anything online about the PC case to know if you can put another fan in, if another case mounting area is available or not. Being by window can be o.k. mattering to too much moisture or heat during certain times of year. If in Sweden not sure how it is all year round, as long a PC not in an enclosed area with no ventilation. Although dust and dirt accumulation inside case on casefans, cpu fan, gpu fan and PSU fan can cause overheat issues. Always good, maybe your brother knows more to help you use canned air once a month to blow out inside of dust and dirt.

Be careful of fan blades moving from forced air and delicate electronics from static electricity from body or oil from skin touching them.

I see here from upgrade potentials as listed on your models site, ends at NVIDIA you have, extends on some AMD models which sure at highest are same as 660 you have now.

https://www.asus.com...specifications/

Edited by jds63, 22 September 2015 - 03:00 PM.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

My previous computer which the GPU fan stopped working entirely. and cooked the GPU, ( it was at 110C) I panic'd and turned it off instantly.

It was a AMD Radeon HD 7570

So what you're saying is It is not optimal for me to take the GTX 750 TI due to risk of things not going well?

and if so.. would you suggest a different GTX model? i'm mainly looking for some GPU with dual fans for extra cooling. a little extra GPU power wouldn't be bad. 

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

My previous computer which the GPU fan stopped working entirely. and cooked the GPU, ( it was at 110C) I panic'd and turned it off instantly.

It was a AMD Radeon HD 7570

So what you're saying is It is not optimal for me to take the GTX 750 TI due to risk of things not going well?

and if so.. would you suggest a different GTX model? i'm mainly looking for some GPU with dual fans for extra cooling. a little extra GPU power wouldn't be bad. 

Going above 660 have now would be in range of NVIDIA 750, do not think anything in betwen for NVIDIA chipset. Fans could have problems at anytime with any GPU or case fan. Wish i could get an exact amp needed figure for this 750Ti some that i found was about 20amps this PSU you have mixed finds, pic i showed 20 amps, specs i found 18amps. If looked again at PSU label like the picture i linked on yours follow vetically down from the +12v it will tell you the amps on that +12v either 20A or 18A. Look at post were i showed a pic of your PSU, hopefully label accessable when open case

You should be fine with ASUS Graphics card you showed me and this PSU, just want to make sure and can always return the card in 30 days or less.

Edited by jds63, 22 September 2015 - 03:57 PM.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Okay, thanks for the help :) Appreciate it

I think it says 12V 20A on mine. that's good right? Assuming it says 20A, it should have no problems running the gpu then?

Edited by TheZorcs, 23 September 2015 - 02:58 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Youe welcome !

Look at post number 14 on page 2 of this thread, see a picture of PSU like yours. Follow vertically down from +12V1 and +12V2, If it's  above 18amps like you said 20Amps i

think you should be fine and having the extra 6 pin connectors, seeing 2 on your GTX 660 video card now.

Delta PSU not quality one, but Delta does make parts for PC and matttering what you want tp spend  buying new one if not really needing it.

Adding more cards in slot, would for sure tell you to buy another one.

Do you play a lot of games ? Maybe then when you get the card, we can use software to monitor it you can download free.

Edited by jds63, 23 September 2015 - 04:12 PM.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

don't think this machine even handles SLI at all. so i don't think i would attempt doing so.

I shall triple check later if it shows

+12v1   +12v2

20A         20A

And if it doesn't i shall return here. :P

Advertisements

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Never any mention of doing SLI, requires 2 of same NVIDIA Chipset cards and memory, motherboard supports it and PSU with more power then yours that will support it.

Get an idea here, meaning buy another NVIDIA 660, a better PSU and the motherboard and PSU both need to support it.

http://www.geforce.c...hnology-guide#4

Want to just change the 660 to the 750Ti you should be o.k..SLI has be same cards.

Edited by jds63, 24 September 2015 - 02:15 PM.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Never any mention of doing SLI, requires 2 of same NVIDIA Chipset cards and memory, motherboard supports it and PSU with more power then yours that will support it.

Get an idea here, meaning buy another NVIDIA 660, a better PSU and the motherboard and PSU both need to support it.

http://www.geforce.c...hnology-guide#4

Want to just change the 660 to the 750Ti you should be o.k..SLI has be same cards

I see. good to know! And i checked my PSU again just before i booted up the PC , The result were better than you expected i'm assuming!

+12v1 = 20

+12v2 = 25

When you read this, if you can confirm it will work just fine, you can mark it solved! I appreciate all the help you've given, and all the time you've spent! Great help :)

Edited by TheZorcs, 25 September 2015 - 02:45 AM.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Looks like PSU is exact to post # 14 if go back one page here, there is a picture of your model PSU. +12v1 20A    +12V2 25A

So your good for changing to GTX 750Ti from the GTX 660 ,but not for SLI which is having 2 of same model cards.

Your welcome, they do not close posts as may help others with same issues, but i can not mark it solved for you.

TheZorcs

TheZorcs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Alright! Thanks a lot. Good to know i can get the new card :) looking forward to it.,

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Alright! Thanks a lot. Good to know i can get the new card :) looking forward to it.,

Let us know how it goes when you do, as to maybe we can also check with free monitor software.YW