Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My old PC is too slow

• Please log in to reply

mdc1600

mdc1600

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

It loads very slowly and I am waiting too long for usual things 
here is the speccy report http://speccy.pirifo...XFzMCNtutpQ2wM3

I will apreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hard drives are the biggest cause of slow speeds and especially slow startup speeds on your PC, you can  install a solid state drive, which have extremely fast read times, can speed up your pc considerably. 

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Ways to speed up an XP:

Defrag

Unlike newer versions of windows XP does not automatically defrag the hard drive so you need to do it manually.   Open My Computer and right click on C: and select Properties then Tools.  You will see the Defrag option.  It will take a long time.

Clean

The heatsink on most XPs is by now clogged with dust. (Yours should run under 40 degrees so your is running hotter than it should)  As this appears to be a desktop, open it up and clean the heatsink.  Normally you have to remove the fan to clean it well (often 4 screws hold it in place.  Note which way it faces so you don't put it back upside down.)  DO NOT REMOVE THE HEATSINK unless you have new thermal paste to put on.  Use a small brush and a vacuum cleaner hose to remove the dust.

Clean up the Hard Drive.

Open My Computer and right click on C: and select Properties.   Do a Disk Cleanup and delete all the files it offers to delete but do not let it Compress Old Files.

Check the event logs for errors especially for services which do not start:

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, but don't restart yet.

Start, Run, eventvwr.msc, OK to bring up the Event Viewer.  Right click on System and Clear All Events, No (we don't want to save the old log), OK. Repeat for Application.

Reboot.

The disk check will run and will probably take an hour or more to finish.

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
http://images.malwar...om/vino/VEW.exe
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Double-click VEW.exe
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application (the second run of vew will overwrite the first log so rename it or copy it to a reply first) 

Also since it is slow booting you may want to turn on bootlogging:

http://www.dummies.c...in-windows.html

and post the resulting c:\windows\ntbtlog.txt  then turn off bootlogging.

Finally:

Get Process Explorer

http://live.sysinter...com/procexp.exe
Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Open the file Procexp.txt on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.