Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sony Viao with blank screen and cursor

• Please log in to reply

bkm1224

bkm1224

• Pip
  • 6 posts

It is a Sony Viao FW-245-J

(Model PCG-3D4L, VGN FW 200)

it is running Vista prem. 64 bit

At one point it said OS not found, now just the blank screen with a cursor, it doesn't flash and you can move it.

It seems that it was shut off during a windows update (my husbands computer and his mistake, I am trying to fix)

I would like to get all the pictures and things on it so I do not loose them and of course I would like to have the computer running again.

I am rather new at this, but follow directions well and learn quick. We live a long way from places to take it to be fixed. Any ideas, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Sorry to hear that you having issue with your laptop. :(

Note: OS not found means that there is no Operating system in the hard disk.

Ok Lets do this,   :)

• switch off the Laptop
  • Remove the battery
  • Press Power button for 50 seconds.
  • Reseat the battery again and switch on the laptop.
  • Press F8 continuously after pressing power button of laptop.
  • You will see the options similar to one of the following:
  1. Safe mode
  2. Safe mode with Networking
  3. Safe mode with command prompt
  • select Safe mode

Let Us inform whether you able to Enter into safe mode.

bkm1224

bkm1224

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Ok, followed the steps, (did get the options you listed) clicked safe mode, and again goes to blank screen with the cursor on it. That is it.

bkm1224

bkm1224

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

That is a far as it ever goes, blank screen with the cursor. Have tried many things suggested reading other forums from others that have had the problem. what you suggested was new and I hadn't tried it until today. As I am typing this it is showing safe mode in all 4 corners and Microsoft windows (build 6001:service pack 1) at the top. Hmmmm..........I will let it sit like this for awhile and see if it does anything else. I must run off to work. Thank you so much for taking time to help me try to figure this out. I truly appreciate it.

bkm1224

bkm1224

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

So it only goes to the screen that has safe mode in all 4 corners as I described in my last post.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Sorry for the delay,  :(

In safe mode,

icon_arrow.gif:Restoring Windows to a previous point:

icon_exclaim.gifwarningicon_exclaim.gif some data will loss what you installed or created after restore point.

• Close any software windows that are open.
  • Click Start  , All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then System Restore.
  • The "Restore system files and settings" window opens.

c00850867.gif

• Select Choose a different restore point, and click Next.
  • Select a date and time from the list of available restore points and click Next. All affected system files will be added, removed, or changed to the same versions that were in the computer's system file configuration on the selected date.

c00850868.gif

• Click Finish in the "Confirm your restore point" window.
  • Click Yes in the confirmation message that opens.
  • The computer should shut down and turn back on automatically after the restoration completes.
  • The Restoration Complete window appears.

c00850869.gif

• Click OK. The computer has now been restored to a previous time when it worked correctly.

Please post back after you do this.

bkm1224

bkm1224

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It won't get that far. Only says safe mode in the corners. It will not do anything. So except for having the words safe mode and saying Microsoft Windows on top (as described previously) it is still just blank screen and can't do anything.