Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hi, I have used a WD Elements 2 TB external HDD for all my backups

• Please log in to reply

Boooster

Boooster

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi,

I have used a WD Elements 2 TB external HDD for all my backups and it's no longer working when I connect it via USB.  I can see the physical drive, but there is no information and when I click on it it hangs indefinitely.  I've read about that issue extensively, it being very common (well, more accurately the constant blue flashing light) so I finally decided to take the psychical HDD out of the external frame and connect it internally via SATA cables.  Now, I realize that the drive may be gone but I have a lot of important photos there that I would hate to lose so I want to try everything to recover this. 

My current computer has a SSD 128GB (Windows OS installed here), and a 1 TB standard HD.  When I connected this one I received an "A2" error from from MSI motherboard (related to not being able to detect a drive) but was able to move past to Windows Boot up.  During the "Windows Starting" screen it now hangs indefinitely as long as the WD HDD is plugged in.  Here is what I tried:

1.  Unplug WD from sata, let windows load up, then plug it back in.  In this case nothing happened - not showing up in device manager even when forcing a scan for hardware changes.

2.  I've tried using a different SATA port - same issue

3.  Restarting the computer and going into BIOS I can see it is detected in one of the SATA ports.

Can anyone suggest something that can hopefully lead me to know 100% whether the drive is dead or I can recover the photos?

Thanks

Advertisements

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Plug your WD hard disk in the SATA ports and start your pc, press F8 immediately at the start up of your pc and enter into safe mode,

Please inform us whether you able to enter into safe mode and see your hard disk there in Disk management.