Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer may be infected, continous issues and errors installing/runni

office 2013 error message download error message opening documen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

The sfcdetails.txt isn't saving for some reason. I put the code in exactly how it's written, several times. The last one that is in the folder is from 26 Sep, when I did it last. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

If you open that file does it show any details from recently?  I have seen this append files instead of create new ones.

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

If you open that file does it show any details from recently?  I have seen this append files instead of create new ones.

No. I checked.

I just want to make sure I got the command correct (spaces red underscore)....

findstr_/c:"[SR]"_%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log_>"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

EDIT:

I just figured it out. It saves to my desktop, but blank. How do I fix that? I will look back through the notes to see how I changed my settings for everything to be saved to the desktop, but I only thought this would effect downloads.

Edited by data_dumb, 07 October 2015 - 08:22 AM.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

The CBS.log file may not have any information that we are looking for anymore; the file is a system log file and I am not sure what causes the system to clean it out and start afresh.  We may still be able to get what we need by using these steps:

• Delete the sfcdetails.txt file on your desktop.
  • Start a fresh administrtive CMD prompt window.
  • Run SFC /SCANNOW .
  • If the SFC utility finds errors it can not fix, then run the
    findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"
  • Close the administrtive CMD window.

Check the sfcdetails.txt file and post it or the results here.

Did you ever check the opening of the Office program and creating a new file that way?  Also, just to eliminate that this is an account based problem, can you create a new user on the system and see if that account can run Office files?

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

That worked. Attached as requested.

EDIT:

I activated a guest account and was able to open excel. It must be errors on this user profile.

Attached Files

Edited by data_dumb, 07 October 2015 - 04:24 PM.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

I activated a guest account and was able to open excel. It must be errors on this user profile.

To correct user profile errors, this guide is the best I have found so far.  ( http://windows.micro...e#1TC=windows-7)  (Says Windows 7 in the URL but it works for 8 & 8.1 also.)

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

To correct user profile errors, this guide is the best I have found so far.  ( http://windows.micro...e#1TC=windows-7)  (Says Windows 7 in the URL but it works for 8 & 8.1 also.)

This explains how to create a new user account. The main user (my wife) is the administrator, and when I attempted to create an account with her microsoft email address it would not let me, since she is already on here. Could you assist? I don't want to screw this up anymore than it is. The last thing that I want is to create a new account, erase everything that we have and screw up administrator rights inadvertantly.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

Yes that does put a kink in the works.  :headscratch:   I will research and return later with the best way to do this.

On a side note, I researched the SFC log and that is a third party driver info that may or may not be entered correctly in the drivers section.  It can actually be ignored and does not affect your system.

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hmm, ok thanks.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
There are two types of accounts on Win8 / 8.1 / 10; local and live.  Local accounts only sign in on the local system and access Microsoft 'services' by asking the user to provide information whenever it is needed and only then.  Live accounts access Microsoft 'services' by using the account login information automatically when needed.  Accounts can be changed from one type to another when needed.

With the information from the following three articles, we can get a new account on the system, transfer the data to it, test it out and then make it a live account (and the old, corrupt account a local account).

How to Create a New User Account in Windows 8
Fix Corrupt User Profile in Windows 8 / 8.1
How to switch between Local and Microsoft Accounts in Windows 8

Let's start:
Part 1: Make New Account (Local)
  • Go to the Windows 8 Start Screen and type Add User in the Search box.
  • Click on the option labeled Give other users access to this computer, which will open the User Settings screen. Scroll down and click on the Add User option.
  • Scroll down and click on the Sign in without a Microsoft account option. You will be brought to a screen where Windows will ask again if you are sure you wish to make a Local account. Click on the Local account button and this will bring you to a new screen where you need to input the information you wish to use for the Local account.
  • At this screen you need to fill in the desired user name, password, and a hint that will be used to help you remember your password. I would suggest that this password be different from the MS account password. When you are done filling in the information, please click on the Next button.
  • On the confirmation screen, just click Finish (we do not wish to make this part of the Family Safety) and when the system reboots, log into this new account. Allow windows to load fully and then reboot the system; this time log into the Admin account we want to copy the information from.
Part 2: Copy Data from Old account to New account
Referring to the second article mentioned above, we just need to do the steps to copy the data files from the old user account to the new account you just made.
  • Right click bottom left corner and select File Explorer
  • Click view and then on the right Options (change folder and search options)
  • Select View tab
  • Put the radio button in Show Hidden Files
  • Remove tick from Hide Extensions for known file types
  • Remove tick from Hide Operating System files
  • Click OK
  • Say yes to warning about showing Operating System files
  • Go to C:\Users\'Your Corrupted User Profile'\ and copy all files apart from

• NTUSER.dat

ntuser.ini

ntuser.dat.LOG1

ntuser.dat.LOG2

• The easy way to do this is to click in the file list side of the screen (right hand side) and then press CTRL and A. This should select all the files. Next press CTRL and click on the four file listed above; those files should lose their highlighting and are thus not longer selected. The press CTRL and C (to copy the selected files).
  • Go to C:\Users\'Your New User Profile'\ and right click on the right hand file area. Select Paste and the files should be written into the New Profile.
At this point we should test the new account to make sure that 1) the Office apps still work fine and 2) that your old profile data is copied to the new profile intact.  Once all of this has been confirmed to your satisfaction, we can move on to swapping the account types.

Advertisements

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

User profile wouldn't copy and/or paste. What is worse is that on the new profile office won't open. It states the same on the main account. Now I have files on my main desktop with the gear symbol titled desktop.ini

I don't understand what the [bleep] is going on.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

The Desktop.ini file is a system file that is now visible due to the changes to Folder and Search options Views.  We will handle it shortly.

What do you mean by "User profile wouldn't copy and/or paste."?  What did not copy and/or paste?  At what step did an error occur?

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I followed the instructions CTL A (then Unselected listed files)then hit back and selected the new user profile folder and clicked paste. Nothing happened. I did this several times. The first time I clicked on the new user folder (from the admin account) it said I didn't have permission, then asked if I wanted permanent permissions. I clicked yes. That was the only way I could open it. Where did I go wrong?

Edited by data_dumb, 09 October 2015 - 04:19 PM.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts

I don't think you did anything wrong at all.  I am "guinea pigging" my own Win10 system to see the best way as these permission settings were never even brought up in the instructions I read. 

In the mean time, please create one more new account and see if Office will open for that account (without moving any other accounts' data into it).  Thank you.

data_dumb

data_dumb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

I don't think you did anything wrong at all.  I am "guinea pigging" my own Win10 system to see the best way as these permission settings were never even brought up in the instructions I read. 

In the mean time, please create one more new account and see if Office will open for that account (without moving any other accounts' data into it).  Thank you.

I created a new local account, then attempted to open excel and received the same error message as on the other accounts.