Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Loud screech and now won't boot

• Please log in to reply

tremorlaine

tremorlaine

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Last night around 3:00AM I was woke up by an ear piercing screech coming from my headphones from across the room.  In my sleepy stupor I powered off the machine.  Now when I try to boot it up it will get to the Windows loading screen but does not show the Windows logo.  After a few seconds the screen just goes black and is unresponsive.  The computer is a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with a Samsung 850 EVO as it's boot drive.  I ran a start repair and it says that it cannot repair this computer automatically.  I have tried to boot to last known good configuration to no avail.  I have also attempted to boot info safe mode.  When trying to boot into safe mode it runs downs the list of drivers it loads and just hangs.  Unfortunately I cannot do a system restore because I turned off that feature a while ago to save on disk space (silly decision now).  I have even tried to reinstall Windows over my old installation but due to the size of my drive it will not allow me to do that as there are only 200GB free.  

I am a computer technician but I am at a loss for what to try next short of a format/reinstall.  Any suggestions.

Also, this computer has had issues since it was built 4 years ago with random blue screens/reboot happening on a daily/weekly/monthly basis.  There is no rhyme or reason that I could figure out that was causing them and they weren't consistent.  They would sometimes happen when I was sitting at my computer working as well as when I was sound asleep.  My heat monitor registered no overheating either.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Do you have the Windows 7 install DVD or flash drive?

If so, boot it then follow the Repair path to get to a Command Prompt.

See what drive your OS is on, it may not be C:.

Run chkdsk #: /r  to check and repair the file system.  (# is the drive letter of your OS partition).

See if that helps.