Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fake website question

• Please log in to reply

jayfay

jayfay

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I've just been thoroughly stupid and been dupped by a fake website.

It's for the ESTA application - the visa waiver programme for the US and the fake website consisted of two pages. The first page where you put all your personal details, passport number, home address etc. I completed that page and moved on to the next one which was the payment page. It was at that point that I realised it was fake as the price they were asking for was wrong - so I never pressed the final 'process the application' button. 

My question is - do this fake company have the details submitted on the first page, as I had to submit the first page to move on the second one? Or am I in the clear because I bailed out before submitting the finished application?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

if there was a submit button, then they likely have all the info from the first page. to be honest, even if there wasn't a submit button, they likely still would have it. they could have made all of the fields just collect data without really needing a submit button.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

i doubt that's necessary. you know it's a bad website, and a phishing attempt....no reason to link the site here. even IF the first page didn't gather your info, you should assume it did and take protective actions accordingly