Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TV while tailgating

• Please log in to reply

brettt777

brettt777

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
My family and I are going to an airshow in Rome, GA this weekend. But there's also a football game we don't want to miss (gotta see Georgia take down bama!). So I'm thinking of taking one our smaller TVs with us. Only.. I'm not sure how to get the game on a TV in the back of my van or track. In all my years of going to college football games, I've seen many people with big screen TVs at the games but never paid any attention to how they did it. I'm not taking my big screen smart TV, it will be just a small 24 inch flat screen. But it does have an HDMI input. But how do I get a signal to the TV? If I bring up the game on a smart phone or tablet, can I stream it to the TV somehow? I know my old Motorola phones had a mini HDMI jack on them but I don't think phones have that anymore. Is there some sort of video capture device I need? There's got to be a way to do this...

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

First you need to get A/C power to your TV. Either with a generator, or power inverter.

Once you have it powered the easiest way would be if it's broadcast locally. You could get a cheap HDTV antenna and grab the over the air signal. If it's not broadcast locally, things get more complex. If you have satellite service, you can bring a receiver from home, and get a portable dish. However, they are very painful to setup the first time (it gets easier). Something like a Winegard Tailgater is much easier, but not cheap. Finally, there's your phone, or laptop computer (if your phone allows internet tethering). I've tried both of them and never had much success. The mobile bandwidth is usually just too congested at large events.