Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Video Card issue "BROKE MY BRAIN"

Got some brain glue ?

• Please log in to reply

tonto74

tonto74

• Pip
  • 2 posts

My bro bought me a nice used tower PC for my birhday. But I want a HDMI port to go to HD TV.  My current Video card works fine, but "Computer Whiz Bud" says I need a "full size" video card, "low profiles" will not work. I can't find out any where how to tell in online store ads, etc, how to I.D. "full size" video cards. Google, get nice lecture about "low profile" cards.. My brain hurts ! Please help !!

Advertisements

tonto74

tonto74

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I was given a nice new (to me) tower PC, works great with Win 7 O.S. However I really want to connect my PC via HDMI cable to my HDTV, but my PC has no HDMI port. There are lots of video cards, under $50 (important, as I'm disabled & on small permanent disability pension). But my good friend, computer whiz, says my tower PC will not work with a "low profile" video card. Most of the ads online for computer parts suppliers, are for "low profile" V.C.s I have asked, him, & Googled it, etc., and everything winds up being a description of way more than I ever wished to know about

"low profile" V.C.s  !!

What is the trick in being able to identify a "full size" V.C. that's a good deal, as I said, hopefully under $50.00, with my tower PC, here's the details

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU, Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz,

has 4 G.B. of RAM,

with a PCIe x 16 slot

Currently video card is Intel G33/G31 i believe.

Any 'guidance" would be greatly appreciated.

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

sorry to say your "Computer Whiz Bud" doesn't know what he's talking about, a low profile card will work just as well as a full size card, the thing that makes a difference is what bracket is attached to it, some times they will come with a low profile and a standard size bracket, they are held on by a couple of screws and are easily swapped over.

the bracket is just used to fix the card to the case and help steady it in it's pci-e slot, a low profile bracket is about 3inches long and is used small pc cases and a standard bracket is about 5inches long and used in most pc cases.

here's an example of a low profile card with a full sized bracket :- http://www.novatech....hd06-1196f.html

you may not even need to buy a new graphics card and a simple adaptor cable like this can be used :- http://www.amazon.co..._rd_i=430444031

or if you already have a cable then a simple adaptor (which is similar to what i'm using at the moment) like this can be used :- http://www.amazon.co...43747875&sr=1-8

if you require more help or further information can you please tell us what make, model pc you currently have so we can find out what motherboard it has and what current graphics capability it has, also if you tell us the amount your looking to spend then we can find you a graphics card that should work in your current pc.

important note when buy a new graphics card for any pc is to make sure the power supply unit (psu) inside the pc has the correct leads spare and also is powerful enough to supply the card with the current needed for it to work.

eg. the card may need an extra pci-e power cable connected to it and the psu must be rated for 500watts with at least 16amps on it's 12v rail.

:popcorn:

here is a link to some graphics cards in your $50 budget :- http://www.newegg.co...=100007709 4025

notice the low profile cards with full size brackets fitted only reach about 2/3's of the height of the bracket, full size cards are the same height as the bracket.

Edited by terry1966, 01 October 2015 - 08:05 PM.