Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird kinda cool build. Need advice

• Please log in to reply

rsagen

rsagen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok so here it goes,
I'm looking into the idea of putting together a collection of screens to view data. Basically it will be data that will be available from a source called mega squirt. Not sure if you guys have heard of it.
It would consist of custom gauges that will be embedded in the dash of a vehicle. Looking at 2 options so far.

(1) using rooted android tablets as a means of display and user inputs, building custom apps to achieve my gauges I want. Having the apps load automatically and strip down the device as much as possible to speed up the loading process. Somehow have the devices turn on and off with the key switch of the vehicle. Also having the devices linked together so upon using the system while operating the vehicle it acts as one giant device that stretches across the gauge cluster.

(2) having a central laptop that is always hidden that has multiple non touch and touch displays plugged into it and getting the same results as the android tablets. The laptop would have nothing else on it other than my guages and maybe win xp to attempt to get very fast results. Would be set to 'standby' as soon as a/c power was removed via power inverter. Etc.

In early stages of this idea. If you think it's crazy let me know, if you have something to add I'd like to hear it. If this is in the wrong area mods please let me know/ move the threads. Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

you might want to look up different car computer websites....SOME of this (having a computer in your car) is already done. the multiple monitor thing is a bit...different though.

anywho, many people use raspberry pi computers for in car systems. there are some other in car systems that are built on windows PCs that are small and fanless (fit PC is one that I can think of off hand). a lot of those already have methodology for doing the power off thing. typically involves having something that kind of treats the car battery sort of like a UPS, but you get signaling from the ignition system to tell the thing that you just turned the car off so it goes into a graceful shutdown as soon as the car turns off. then obviously once power returns (turn the car on) the thing starts back up.

there are some android devices that I know can do this too. using a regular tablet is another story though. you'd likely have to find or build a custom ROM that can do the auto power on/power off business based on ignition status.

I think in either case, if you're looking at multiple screens to show various different items (gages, media system, gps, whatever) you're likely going to be looking at multiple devices instead of one central device.