Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wrong PSU reading, No beeps, No boot

Best Answer phillpower2 , 09 October 2015 - 07:39 AM

Hello Dashing star, Got sidetracked yesterday so couldn't get back to you, sorry   My question is that even the output of PSU in multimeter shows correct readings it is possible the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Dashing star

Dashing star

• PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello,

In my pc i did not hear beeps without RAM, approximately with a try of 10 times it beeps for one time which is 4 beeps. Also some time it beeps like crazy, which was different and not like normal beeps. 

• No external graphic card, it is onboard one.

Steps I did:

1. Clear the cmos, also try with 8 different cmos batteries
  2. Only one RAM slot but RAM is good which is SD-RAM
  3. Keyboard not work at the time.
  4. I remove all external devices and connect only psu and cmos battery still no beeps or boot.

Also when i check the PSU with voltmeter it shows 24 v, 6.5v and 10v for the readings of 12v, 3.3v and 5v which is double the amount of normal set of readings.

what you guys think about it whether it is PSU faulty or mobo faulty? when i switch on the psu the cpu fan running normally and LED is on, also there is no overheating of the processor, after running several minutes i touch the heatsink and mobo no overheating.

The psu is not a quality one it is iMax 550w,

Thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Hello Dashing star,

Faulty PSUs can produce all sorts of symptoms + as the PSU concerned is of questionable quality I would definitely suggest swapping in a known good PSU before doing anything else**

** Not being familiar with the imax brand of PSU I did a Google search, are you aware that the PSU could potentially be 8 years old, see first two links here

Only one RAM slot but RAM is good which is SD-RAM

Can I ask how you know that the Ram is good.

Can you tell us the brand and model name or number of the MB.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Hello phillpower2,

Sorry for inconvenience it is my mistake to measure the volt in VAC instead of VDC... now i got the readings of 3.4v, 5.2v and 12.2v it is ok?

Also the motherboard i mention is not personal computer rather than embedded computer one whichbelongs to textile machine.

I already took the model there is no specified model name, but it is phoenix BIOS.

Regarding SD-RAM , it is brand new one. Is there any possibility of BIOS failure like that?

Sorry for my bad English.

Regards

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

No worries Dashing star  :thumbsup:

Also the motherboard i mention is not personal computer rather than embedded computer one whichbelongs to textile machine.
I already took the model there is no specified model name, but it is phoenix BIOS.

Sorry but not sure that I will be able to help with such a machine but as previously mentioned the first thing that I would do is remove the junk brand and quality imax PSU and swap in a known good one, see my canned explanation below.

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Phoenix have a slightly more complex beep pattern than others, none of them are as simple as 4 beeps but we need to keep in mind that the BIOS may have been specifically made for the manafacturer of the textile machine and so is nothing like a normal computer MBs beep pattern BIOS beep codes

Regarding SD-RAM , it is brand new one. Is there any possibility of BIOS failure like that?

Hard to prove if the Ram is good or bad without any error beeps I'm afraid.

Worth mentioning here, as the graphics are integrated into the MB it will rely on the presence of the Ram to support it and in this instance one test that we normally suggest be done if there are no beeps and no video is to remove the Ram and then power up, if you then get error beeps it may suggest that the Ram is good and that the problem lays elsewhere and more often than not it is the graphics solution that has issues, if you still get no beeps with the Ram removed it suggests that the problem is with one of the following in this order: 1: The power supply. 2: The MB. 3: The CPU.

No problem with your English btw  ;)

Dashing star

Dashing star

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts
Sorry but not sure that I will be able to help with such a machine

I believe that i can get help from you!  :yes:

I would do is remove the junk brand and quality imax PSU and swap in a known good one

My question is that even the output of PSU in multimeter shows correct readings it is possible the PSU may be faulty? If yes then why it shows the readings correctly? I try to swap good one and check.

Edit 1: I check out with another new PSU... the motherboard beeps irregular and non-stop beeps which drives me crazy so i switch it off and ON again then there is no beeps at all.... :(

Phoenix have a slightly more complex beep pattern than others, none of them are as simple as 4 beeps but we need to keep in mind that the BIOS may have been specifically made for the manafacturer of the textile machine and so is nothing like a normal computer MBs beep pattern BIOS beep codes

Hard to prove if the Ram is good or bad without any error beeps I'm afraid.

Worth mentioning here, as the graphics are integrated into the MB it will rely on the presence of the Ram to support it and in this instance one test that we normally suggest be done if there are no beeps and no video is to remove the Ram and then power up, if you then get error beeps it may suggest that the Ram is good and that the problem lays elsewhere and more often than not it is the graphics solution that has issues, if you still get no beeps with the Ram removed it suggests that the problem is with one of the following in this order: 1: The power supply. 2: The MB. 3: The CPU.

Yes. I agree with you.  But the link you provided is not working.  :no: Today i spend my whole day with this and post you back...

Thanks for your valuable time!

Edit  2:  I give a close look on the back side of the motherboard which i see is a capacitor which is burnt near the processor which is written as Q3 ( which means for capacitor i think)...

Edited by Dashing star, 08 October 2015 - 06:01 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Dashing star,

Got sidetracked yesterday so couldn't get back to you, sorry  :(

My question is that even the output of PSU in multimeter shows correct readings it is possible the PSU may be faulty? If yes then why it shows the readings correctly? I try to swap good one and check.

As per my earlier reply;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

A multimeter does not test a PSU when it is under load and so cannot be relied upon, see my canned text below for the equipment required to truly test a PSU;

I do not wish to alarm you but the attached video is the one that I use as an example to show the sort of equipment that is required to conclusively test a PSU, I am not aware of any Staples outlet that has such equipment in store.

What the equipment does is simulate a computer under load and so the PSU behaves as it would when it is powering your PC, multi-meters and the basic testing devices that you can purchase from some merchants only test the basic voltage output from the PSU rails and so cannot be relied on as 100% conclusive.

Edit 1: I check out with another new PSU... the motherboard beeps irregular and non-stop beeps which drives me crazy so i switch it off and ON again then there is no beeps at all....  :(

A change in the behaviour with an alternative PSU proves that the original PSU is in some way involved.

Regarding the BIOS;

The link works for me so not sure why it will not for you  :headscratch: I have copy/paste them for you below in any event, some additional info here on capacitors;

Phoenix BEEP Codes:

• 1-1-3 
Explanation: Your computer can't read the configuration information stored in the CMOS. 
Diagnosis: Replace the motherboard.

• 1-1-4
Explanation: Your BIOS needs to be replaced.
Diagnosis: Got to your motherboard manufacturers web site and download the new Bios.

• 1-2-1
Explanation: You have a bad timer chip on the motherboard.

• 1-2-2 or 1-2-3 or 1-3-1 or 1-3-3 or 1-3-4 or 1-4-1 
Explanation: Motherboards is bad.

• 1-4-2
Explanation: Some of your memory is bad.
Diagnosis: Go to Basic Trouble Shooting

• 1-3-1
Explanation: Motherboards is bad.

• 2-_-_ Any combination of beeps after two
Explanation: Some of your memory might be bad.
Diagnosis: Go to Basic Trouble Shooting

• 3-1-_
Explanation: One of the chips on your motherboard is broken.

• 3-2-4
Explanation: Keyboard controller failure.
Diagnosis:

• 3-3-4
Explanation: Your computer can't find the video card.
Diagnosis: Is it there? If so, try swapping it with another one and see if it works.

• 3-4-_
Explanation: Your video card isn't working.
Diagnosis: Replace Video Card

Dashing star

Dashing star

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

I want to remind my post #5,

Edit  2:  I give a close look on the back side of the motherboard which i see is a capacitor which is burnt near the processor which is written as Q3 ( which means for capacitor i think)...

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

No need for any reminder Dashing star   ;)

Edit  2:  I give a close look on the back side of the motherboard which i see is a capacitor which is burnt near the processor which is written as Q3 ( which means for capacitor i think)...

Would it be possible to take and upload a picture for us.

BTW: Geeks to Go is a (free) computer help forum and we will always do our best to help with any computer related issue/s, you are asking for assistance with something that is certainly not personal computer related and therefore outside of my remit :( you may want to consider posting on the GTG Off Topic forum or any company website that may be available for the textile machine concerned.

Dashing star

Dashing star

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

BTW, I consult a Trained Tech he told that the Transistor which responsible for voltage regulator to processor is burnt so it is difficult to change the transistor itself and have to buy the new motherboard .   :upset:  

In mean time i took the photo and upload it...  :huh:

Thanks for your help and Regards  :happy:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Ouch, that is costly  :(

No picture attached I`m afraid.

You are welcome Dashing star  :)