Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Failure to update

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

We  have two desktops, both running WIN7 64 bit.   One works just as it should, updates when told to, etc.  The other will no longer download updates.  I tried the troubleshooter etc via MS to no avail.    Both computers work via a wireless connection.   Where do I start to get this fixed?

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Flush DNS
Reset FF proxy Settings
Reset Ie Proxy Settings
Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and post the result.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I downloaded and attempted to run the MiniToolbox.   Panda anti virus pops up and says it "neutralized"  it as a virus.  What next?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

This file is fine, please disable Panda and run the tool. I would not last too long here suggesting the use of malware. :)

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I didn't think it was a geekstogo person.  Just wasn't sure how to get by Panda.    Problem may now be saved.   Thinking about what changed,  I had attempted to install a serial port card.   It didn't work but I hadn't gotten back to remove it.  So I removed it and restarted the pc.    It took close to four hours of windows spinning in the Looking for updates mode.  It finally came up and said it found the updates.  It took awhile but updates were downloaded and installed.  Odd to me at least that the error message did not refer  to devices.   The pc is working but now it takes a long! time to load anything needed.    I will have to go into the correct forum for that    Thanks for your help.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

1. Download the portable version of Windows Repair (All In One) from here, Windows Repair (All In One). (Make sure you have your computer running in a clean boot state BEFORE running repairs. If you need assistance with performing a clean boot then follow the instructions here, How to perform a clean boot in Windows)

2. Download the portable zipped folder to your desktop.

3. Extract the contents of the zipped folder, and then right click on the Repair_Windows.exe file and select run as administrator.

4. After the program opens, click on the Step 3 tab and click the Do It button to have the program run Check Disk on the file system.

YNOc6R1.png

5. After the computer finishes running Check Disk, start the program again and proceed to Step 4.

6. Click on the Step 4 tab and click on the Do It button to allow the program to run the System File Checker to find and fix any corrupt Windows files.

LT3CMer.png.

7. After SFC finishes, proceed to the Step 5 tab.

8. On the Step 5 tab go ahead and create a new system restore point before starting the repair by clicking on the Create button under the System Restore area.

05eCIrC.png.

9. Once that is done click on the Start Repairs tab.

10. On the Start Repairs tab click on the Start button and select Run when prompted.

UhdwFQt.png

11. The Windows Repairs window will open. Now ensure that ONLY the checkboxes in the program are checked as indicated below:

QeEjx5n.jpg

As far as what you can not see: Make sure and tick the boxes numbered.26, 27, 31,33

12. Then when those checkboxes are selected, click on the checkbox that says Restart System when Finished.

13. Now click on the Start button to start the repair process.

14. The process could take some time so please be patient.

15. After the repair process finishes, the computer will be rebooted.

16. See if there is any difference after performing the above steps.

Thanks to Evan Omo for the speech.

fred n

fred n

• Pip
  • 8 posts

If your re installing Win 7 your going to wait a long time for the updates ,  i waited over 16 hours and downloaded every troubleshooter i could find , i also ran Windows repair 4 separate times ,didn't do a thing .

I also installed the Windows update readiness tool , nothing worked , you just have to wait and wait.

I found out Microsoft's servers have very minimal resources given to Win 7 at this time due to Win 10 installs , even Microsoft tech has admitted to it. 

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Finally had time to myself;  so I copied all the details on repair to a file and hope to start that tonight.  It might correct the extreme slow pc.

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I downloaded the repair software via majorgeeks.   When I clicked on the icon on my desktop,  all it does is spin for ten minutes at which time I canceled.   Does it take a long time to load and should Itry again with another download?

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I downloaded the repair software again.   I went through the steps for a clean boot although the instructions seem to duplicated at one point.   I chose the chkdsk and saw an error message but it didn't stay long enough to read it.   I wanted to choose repair but had no luck.   So I canceled out,  went back to Windows and did a standard chkdsk with repair.  Again no luck on the repair.   Would it work if I tried to run the download in safe mode instead?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Yes please try the repair in safe mode. :D

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts

I attempted the repair program twice thinking I may have made a mistake the first time.  I get a failure to complete from the software.

"Exception Code: 40000015

Exception Offset: 00000000000435f2

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Information 1: 049a

Additional Information 2: 049a1a54cc52c2421ee6395e3baac785

Additional Information 3: 238d

Additional Information 4: 238d17137779623e95511fcfb868eca0

Is there anything in the above that gives a clue as to the problem?   I am beginning to think I will just need to do a complete reinstall.