Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to obtain an IP log of my emails

Hacked email account

• Please log in to reply

RobA7937

RobA7937

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi there:

I need some help please at the expert level.  My email account was hacked into from the US while I am traveling overseas.  I have been dealing with my email providers support people for about a month to try to obtain the IPs and MAC addresses for the illegal log ons.  I can see two log on attempts recently but I need the logs from the being of the year.  The email provider says that they can do this and they say that they have generated a file.  Multiple requests to them have result in numerous emails saying "here is the file attached" but there are no files attached as they claim. I have even verified an alternate email adress and it too receives an email from them with no file attached.  How do I obtain the IP and MAC address info logs from my email provider?  Thank you.

Advertisements

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

It depends which e-mail type your using all have different ways to get where people have logged in from.

I also doubt your e-mail provider will provide these logs you want and even if they did by some weird stroke of luck the mac will probably be spoofed and the ip a proxy.

If I where you I'd change my passphrase to one 14 or more characters long upper and lower case numbers and special characters.

A passphrase example and don't use it because we all know it now lol: Pl8*/jH3"nXa+l5tv

Then make sure that the attacker isn't using your account to forward you incoming mail to his account.

Use 2 factor authentication to harden your E-mail against attacks.

Never leave it signed in always un-tick the leave me signed in box and don't open your e-mail account on public machines.

RobA7937

RobA7937

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi there:

Yes, thank you for your info.

RobA7937

RobA7937

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

How would I go about identifying an IP address from an unsuccessful log on attempt related to my email being hacked? I have one now.  The other one I have discovered is a "24" and even I know that is from a cell phone and untraceable.  But it was near my address in the US. Thanks for any assistance.

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Some E-mails like G-mail have ip logs built in to the interface that tell you certain info and give you list of ip's that last logged in.  With out knowing what type of email its difficult to say. Don't give your email address just brand name.

heres how with gamil for instance https://support.goog...wer/45938?hl=en

Edited by HolyCowZ, 15 October 2015 - 01:50 PM.

RobA7937

RobA7937

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Outlook dot com

HolyCowZ

HolyCowZ

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts

click on the gear icon when you’re logged into Outlook.com. Click on Options. Click on Account Details and then on the left-hand side, you should see something called Recent Activity. Click on that. Or you can go directly to https://account.live.com/activity. You will, of course, need to confirm your password for security.

Hope that helps

RobA7937

RobA7937

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Yes, thank you again. I did find that information. I was asking how to identify an IP address by the number given for an entry.