Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista Startup Repair Loop (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

When you power up the notebook can you hear the cooling fan running, if no, let us know, if yes, please try the following; Disconnect the AC adaptor from the mains and the notebook.Remove the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi everyone, this is the first time I've posted here.  I need some advice or help with my fiance's computer.  Its a Toshiba laptop running Windows Vista Home.  Its not new by any means but it has always been really reliable until the past month or so.  It keeps cutting out and at first I thought it might be overheating so I cleaned the fan (which was dusty) but apart from it running more silently this hasn't made any difference.  I ran a virus check using Windows Defender and I scanned using Malwarebytes but both were clear.  Now its stuck in a Startup Repair Loop and we just can't get beyond it.  We have no recovery disk or product key.  I'd be grateful for any advice you can give me.

Best wishes and thanks in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    Seagullfeather,

Hard drive failure or a corrupt OS are both possibilities, let us know if there is important data on the HDD that has not been backed up as that should be attempted before anything else.

Can you tell us the model name or number of the notebook, Toshiba Sattelite or Portege as two examples.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi Phillpower2, thanks for responding.

He does have important data on it, yeah.  It would be great if you could advise me on how to retrieve it if possible.

Its a Toshiba Equium and its 7 years old.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Polite reminder

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

You will need access to a computer that has internet, a disk burner and a blank disk for the following;

You are welcome btw  :)

=================== 

***Required Hardware*** 

CD Burner (CDRW) Drive, 

Blank CD, 

Extra Storage Device (USB Flash Drive, External Hard Drive)  

=================== 

1. Save these files to your Desktop/Burn Your Live CD:

• Download Latest Puppy Linux ISO (i.e.: lupu-528.iso) 

Download BurnCDCC ISO Burning Software 

There are instructions on how to boot from flash drive with puppy here; http://www.pendrivel...e-from-windows/ 

• Open BurnCDCC with Windows Explorer 

• Extract All files to a location you can remember 

• Double Click 1%20BurnCDCC%20Icon.PNG BurnCDCC 

• Click Browse 2%20BurnCDCC%20Browse%20Button.PNG and navigate to the Puppy Linux ISO file you just downloaded 

• Open/Double Click that file 

IMPORTANT: Adjust the speed bar to CD: 4x DVD: 1x 

• Click Start 3%20BurnCDCC%20Start%20Button.PNG 

• Your CD Burner Tray will open automatically 

• Insert a blank CD and close the tray 

• Click OK 

Puppy Linux Live CD will now be created 

2. Set your boot priority in the BIOS to CD-ROM first, Hard Drive Second 

•  

• Start the computer/press the power button 

• Immediately start tapping the appropriate key to enter the BIOS, aka "Setup" 

(Usually shown during the "Dell" screen, or "Gateway" Screen) 

• Once in the BIOS, under Advanced BIOS Options change boot priority to: 

CD-ROM 1st, Hard Drive 2nd 

• Open your ROM drive and insert the disk 

• Press F10 to save and exit 

• Agree with "Y" to continue 

• Your computer will restart and boot from the Puppy Linux Live CD 

4%20BIOSBootPriorityImage.png 

3.  Recover Your Data 

• Once Puppy Linux has loaded, it is actually running in your computer's Memory (RAM).  You will see a fully functioning Graphical User Interface similar to what you normally call "your computer".  Internet access may or may not be available depending on your machine, so it is recommended you print these instructions before beginning.  Also, double clicking is not needed in Puppy.  To expand, or open folders/icons, just click once.  Puppy is very light on resources, so you will quickly notice it is much speedier than you are used to.  This is normal.  Ready?  Let's get started. 

3a. Mount Drives 

• Click the Mount Icon located at the top left of your desktop. 5%20Puppy%20Linux%20Mount%20Icon.PNG 

• A Window will open.  By default, the "drive" tab will be forward/highlighted.  Click on Mount for your hard drive. 

• Assuming you only have one hard drive and/or partition, there may be only one selection to mount. 

• USB Flash Drives usually automatically mount upon boot, but click the "usbdrv" tab and make sure it is mounted. 

• If using an external hard drive for the data recovery, do this under the "drive" tab.  Mount it now. 

3b. Transfer Files.

•  

• At the bottom left of your desktop a list of all hard drives/partitions, USB Drives, and Optical Drives are listed with a familiar looking hard drive icon. 

• Open your old hard drive i.e. sda1 

• Next, open your USB Flash Drive or External Drive. i.e. sdc or sdb1 

• If you open the wrong drive, simply X out at the top right corner of the window that opens. (Just like in Windows) 

• From your old hard drive, drag and drop whatever files/folders you wish to transfer to your USB Drive's Window. 

For The Novice:  The common path to your pictures, music, video, and documents folders for XP is: Documents and Settings >> All Users (or each individual name of each user, for Vista and above  C:\Users\$USERNAME\[...]. CHECK All Names!) >> Documents >> You will now see My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos

Remember to only click once!  No double clicking!  Once you drag and drop your first folder, you will notice a small menu will appear giving you the option to move or copy.  Choose COPY each time you drag and drop. 

YOU ARE DONE!!!  Simply click Menu >> Mouse Over Shutdown >> Reboot/Turn Off Computer.  Be sure to plug your USB Drive into another working windows machine to verify all data is there and transferred without corruption. Congratulations! 

PuppyLinux528screenshot.png 

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi Phillpower2, I made the disk and then found out that the disk drive doesn't work either (groan) so I used your link to boot from a flash drive and thanks to that I've managed to retrieve all his important data which is now safe.  :spoton: Thank you so much!

Edited by Seagullfeather, 20 October 2015 - 08:14 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Pain in the proverbial having no disk drive but pleased to hear that you were able to back up the data  :thumbsup:

Couple of questions if I may;

Have you checked on the base of the computer and beneath the main battery in the battery housing for a product key sticker.

What actually happened when you tried to use the disk drive, one may be needed to resolve this issue.

How did the repair loop come about as in did it just happen when you tried to boot up for example.

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

The product key sticker is indeed on the base, I just checked :blush:   Thank you. I really shouldn't be allowed near this laptop unsupervised :)

Well it started to cut out, and we'd have to restart it using the power button then two days ago after pressing the power button it took us to the repair or start windows normally screen so Mark (fiance) selected repair and its been in a loop ever since.

The disk drive will load a disk and close okay but when it tries to power up the disk it seems to manage a little bit of power and then it dies.  It makes a soft whirring noise (kind of like the whooshing sound you get when you burn a disk) and then it tails off.  It repeats this over and over, like it can't quite get the energy needed to complete what it wants to do if that makes sense. 

Edited by Seagullfeather, 20 October 2015 - 10:10 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Good news that you have the product key  :thumbsup: I suggest that a separate note be made of it and stored somewhere safe.

That type of behaviour can happen when Windows is shut down incorrectly but usually only after being done on a regular basis, another possible cause is an almost full hard drive, any idea how much free storage space is/was available on the drive.

The disk drive we can come back to but it sounds like the lens on it has failed or is dirty and cannot read disks.

Can you do the following please;

Restart the notebook and continually tap the F8 key then get back to us to let us know what happens, we are checking to see if there is a HDD Recovery option in the Advanced Boot options.

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Hi, I've written it down :)

OK I booted using F8 and I get a black screen with the following:

Advanced Boot Options

Choose Advanced Options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
(Use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)

Repair Your Computer

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video (640x480)
Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

Description: View a list of system recovery tools you can use to repair
                    startup problems, run diagnostics, or restore your system.

ENTER=Choose                                                                     ESC=Cancel

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

First of all try Last Known Good Configuration and see how that goes.

If no joy try Safe Mode with Command Prompt and typing the following chkdsk c: /r  and then pressing Enter.

Advertisements

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Ok, Last Known Good Configuration attempted to start normally but then there was a very brief flicker of a blue screen with error messages on it that flashed by too quickly for me to read and then went to Windows Error Recovery with the two options Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally.

Then Safe Mode with Command Prompt I got a black screen saying loading windows files with a long list of files with the word Loaded, then it cut to what looked like a command prompt (a blinking cursor at the top of a black screen) and before I could do anything it had gone right back to the Error Recovery screen with the two options again.

Sorry, in both cases a message flashed up at the end that said System Recovery Options with a large X in a red circle saying 'The installed program cannot start.  Click OK to turn off the computer'

Edited by Seagullfeather, 20 October 2015 - 12:56 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Restart the computer and select Disable automatic restart on system failure and let us know if you get an onscreen message such as a bugcheck code

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Ok, I've done that and have a blue screen with the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities.  Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers.  Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024  (0x00190444, 0x86D2C208, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No harm in trying to run chkdsk but in all honesty I feel that you are going to need to download a Vista ISO either to repair the present installation or to do a fresh installation, Microsoft do not provide Vista ISOs so please see post #112 of Ztruker here  have a formatted 4GB thumb drive available before you begin.

Please keep us posted on your progress and good luck.

Seagullfeather

Seagullfeather

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Thanks so much for all your help, its much appreciated.  I'll take a look at the link now.