Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrade 7 year old PC for Win 10? (Resolved).

Best Answer percman , 21 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

Went with the Win 7/back to Win 10 bit, after miraculously finding the old Win 7 disk. Had some trouble with product key issues until, duh, I found the sticker on the side of the case (though origi... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

percman

percman

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

So I have an old (2008) machine, in my mind at least, could run Win 10 and touchscreen nearly as good as a new one but I would like to know if I'm completely crazy or if there's a chance.

It was a bleeding edge, custom made gamer (although I didn't make it) back then and it still runs Win 7 pretty darn well. Here are the specs:

NVIDIA nForce 680i LT motherboard (specs: http://www.nvidia.co...ech_specs.html)

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHZ

GE Force GTX260 (gaming is not a factor anymore - only need this for internet, media, etc.)

4 GB PC26400 DDR2 SDRAM

Windows 7 64 bit

The 2 upgrades I'm thinking of (in addition to a nice 24inch+ touchscreen)

4 to 8 GB ram (which is unfortunately the motherboard's limit)

250 GB SSD to serve as boot drive (and keep one or both additional standard drives)

The Ram of course is extremely simple but I wasn't sure on a SSD. An Amazon description of a Samsung unit said "Sata III". Does my motherboard support Sata III?

So not having even looked at computer specs since then I've never tried to see what is necessary to run a good system nowadays. So waddya think - could this work or would it be easier to keep the case and gut it for a whole new build?

thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   percman,

Your MB has six SATA 3GB/s ports available, see here these are the equivalent of SATA II standard, worth mentioning is that many SATA III devices will be backwards compatible with your SATA II ports.

Upgrading to 8GB of Ram and an SSD for Windows is definitely worth doing as it will help you get the best of the 64-bit software and speed up your boot times, for your intended use I see no reason to go to the trouble or expense of a whole new build albeit - the case, if it were to be a gaming rig then yes it would need a complete overhaul.

Use the Crucial system scanner tool here to find the best recommended Ram and SSD for your system, no need to purchase from there, write down the details, let us know what is suggested and we can take a look for you.

NB: You have not mentioned what power supply (PSU) you have, let us know the brand and model name or number so that we can check that it will support the addition of an SSD.

percman

percman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Thanks for the advice Phillpower2. The power supply is a Zephyr 750 and it shows a total output of 750W. It definitely will not be needing the horsepower for gaming, just a smooth Win 10 touchscreen experience.

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

You are welcome percman  :)

Your PSU is 7+ years old, 5 years out of warranty and not even a minimum of bronze efficiency rated, I would suggest swapping in a good quality brand 500W minimum of bronze rated PSU to protect your present hardware + any upgrades, plenty of clean and stable power and the peace of mind of having a minimum of a 3 year warranty.

Did you run the Crucial tool, if yes, what did it suggest.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you percman, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

percman

percman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

The Crucial system scanner came up with:

Crucial currently does not have any compatible upgrades available for your particular system.

Bad sign? Would my upgrade ideas fall flat?

Seems strange a 500W power supply would be more effective that the current 750W? That's due to efficiency I presume?

Sorry about the delay in response.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

That`s odd, please try the similar Mr Memory tool from here this only to see what if anything is suggested and not to purchase from there.

Your PSU concern;

Seems strange a 500W power supply would be more effective that the current 750W? That's due to efficiency I presume?

My previous explanation;

Your PSU is 7+ years old, 5 years out of warranty and not even a minimum of bronze efficiency rated

Nothing personal against the present PSU on my behalf, the final decision whether or not to replace the present PSU lays with yourself, for my part have brought my concerns to your attention and can do no more than that  :thumbsup:

percman

percman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

the 2nd link above for a system check did not suggest anything, rather it just displayed the motherboard type, memory, etc.

I believe this is definitely worth a shot with the RAM and SSD upgrades. Worst case would be to start a new build with the same case but as this old machine is still running 64 bit Win 7 fast, I can imagine at least it could keep up with Win 10, at least for a while.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

What is your maximum budget for the upgrades.

percman

percman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Not very much, due to the fact I'm trying to retain the original case, processor, etc. Just got the additional 4GB of ram on Amazon for a mere $27, and have seen 250GB SSD for around $90. And of course until July of next year, Win 10 is free, which is an outstanding price.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Is the Ram the exact same spec as what you have already.

Mushkin Enhanced Reactor 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MKNSSDRE256GB here

percman

percman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Ram matched, number by number, letter by letter. 256GB SSD for $84? Wow!

I would assume most people who have an SSD use that for primary programs and keep music/photos/etc. on existing hard drives?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Ram should be all good then  :thumbsup:

Aye a good price for the SSD and very good reviews at Newegg as well, I don't see one included in the packaging so you will need a SATA cable by the looks of it.

The OS and most commonly used programs should be on the SSD, Windows on a separate 120GB partition and the remaining space for data only storage, some reading for you here

percman

percman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Motherboard has 6 total SATA channels so don't need another cable. Upgraded RAM and trying Win 10 install now (to go to SSD later) and we'll see how it runs....

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Motherboard has 6 total SATA channels so don't need another cable

But unless you have a spare cable you will need one to connect the additional storage device to one of the 6 ports on the MB!