Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cloning Help

• Please log in to reply

eZAK

eZAK

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

My thought was to upgrade the hard drive on the Dell XFR laptop.

It has a 128GB SSD and I want to go with a 250GB SSD.

So I buy the new 250 drive, borrow my freinds Kingwin EZ-clone.

Hook it, all goes well, done. Simple right, .....Not!

Although it did make a clone, I went into Disk Mgmt. and saw it only used half the drive leaving an unalocated partition.

I also can not expand the OS partition (grayed out) only shrink. I can however expand and shrink the recovery portion.

I tried to initialize the unalocated as a simple drive but the OS part. expand is still grayed out.

Anyone care to share your thoughts?

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

You might check to see if the manufacturer of the drive offers a tool to copy the data from the old drive to the new. Typically those are smarter and allow for expanding the OS partition.

If not, you could boot using a Knoppix LiveCD and use qtparted to expand the OS partition if there is no partition after the OS partition. Otherwise you need to move the partition after it to the end of the disk, then you could expand the OS partition.

You might want to post the partition information.

eZAK

eZAK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

It shows the OS in one partition, and the 'recovery' in the next, then the unalocated

terry1966

terry1966

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,143 posts

what your going to need to do is delete the recovery partition and then expand the os partition to use most of the unallocated space leaving enough room on the end to create a partition large enough for the recovery partition and then clone just that recovery partition again to the new drive.

or

you may be able to expand the recovery partition to use all the unallocated space, then it may allow you to move the start of the recovery partition to just the size you require while also expanding the os partition or leaving unallocated space which you can then expand the os partition into.

depends on what software your using to manage the partitions though i believe, sorry can't be more specific been way to long since i've had to do such a thing on a windows pc for me to remember, being a linux user i'm more used to creating my own partitions first and then using dd to clone them.

i think partition magic was most recommend by windows users for managing partitions but can't say i've ever used it myself.

here's a link to it though :- http://www.partition-tool.com/

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 23 October 2015 - 11:22 PM.

eZAK

eZAK

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Well I still can not get the OS partition to expand.

I think I will try a partiton software. Thank You!