Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd problem with email on Yahoo.com

Best Answer paws , 28 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

Hi batpark,It sure does look that way, and I'm pleased you got a good result.You could continue with IE or other browsers like Safari ( works fine on Windows) or Chrome or Pale Moon or any of the o... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I have an email account with yahoo.com and connect to it with my W8.1 desktop and an iPad. About half the time i have problems downloading an incoming message on the desktop; sometimes the message never loads, other times it may load in 30 to 45 seconds. If I try a different incoming message I have no problem. 

At the same time though that same errant message loads flawlessly on the iPad; so the problem seems not to be with Yahoo.

Any suggestions for finding the problem? Thanks. .... batpark

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi batpark,

sorry to hear of the issue with your yahoo mail.

As a first step I would be inclined not to download the email ( using an email client) but just to view (not download) viaYahoo webmail

Let us know if just viewing your mail via webmail using your browser works Ok...we can then take a look at your email client settings if necessary.... what email client are you using, by the way, that is proving troublesome?

Regards

paws

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Teacher: Thanks for your help. I had not realize that one could "just view your mail via webmail using your browser" and that method is an alternative to downloading incoming messages. Will you please say more about the two methods?

I am not sure which method I am now using on the desktop pc (with W8.1). How can I tell? And how do I go about  "viewing your mail via webmail using your browser"?

...batpark

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi batpark, Ok, all understood

Here's the link to the yahoo log in page

https://login.yahoo.com/

see if you can get to your email by webmail (use Internet Explorer)

Note you will need your username and password etc

Let us know how you get on

regards

paws

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

paws: Responding to your suggestions; I hope this info may clarify my problem.

1. The notice from GtG that I had a new response to my query (your latest post) appeared as Yahoo incoming mail on my W8.1 desktop AND on my iPad. The Yahoo mail account on the W8.1 pc uses Firefox browser. The Yahoo mail account on the iPad uses (I guess) the Safari browser.

2. I could NOT open the notice on the desktop pc. But the notice open immediately on the iPad.

3. When I changed the browser on the pc to IE and then logged into my Yahoo account I WAS able to open the message immediately.

Doesn't this pinpoint Firefox as the culprit ? ….. batpark

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi batpark,

It sure does look that way, and I'm pleased you got a good result.

You could continue with IE or other browsers like Safari ( works fine on Windows) or Chrome or Pale Moon or any of the others.

If you are keen on Firefox then I would be inclined to save all your bookmarks etc and then reset or uninstall it and reinstall it (after a reboot of course)

Regards

paws

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

I am glad to report that I seem to have fixed the problem -- by using TFC by Old timer to clear out cache and temp files. Thanks for your help. ...batpark

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi batpark, That's good to hear

well done!

:thumbsup:

Regards

paws