Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

EXE files and popups

• Please log in to reply

swt2005

swt2005

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't know whats wrong with my comp. It seems every file that ends in .exe will not work, no matter what it is. And I also started getting popups out of nowhere so I didn't know if maybe the problem was related or if I have to do something else to fix that? Then it just kind of freezes randomly. I'm so frustrated :tazz: It also gives me a link to go to and when I click on it, it says the problem is with the nVidia program. How can I fix that?

Edited by swt2005, 15 June 2005 - 05:39 PM.

Advertisements

kool808

kool808

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts
Hello and welcome to Geeks to Go! :tazz: I'm kool808.Even the best antispyware programs are only able to remove about 70% of infections. Also, the line between spyware and trojans is getting blurred. You can never be too careful with these, I recommend at least one online scan.

Now, REBOOT in Normal Mode and have an On-line scan at this sites: Trend Micro or Panda Scan or BitDefender.

REBOOT again.

Update your nVidia graphics drivers HERE.

swt2005

swt2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
see, this is the problem. all these programs use exe files. therefore i cant download them. its like a catch 22.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download the following

extract and run...it is a com file.

You have a trojan that is preventing exe's from running so you cannot get rid of it

post a log here, and I will walk you through the first stage of removal before passing you along to the malware forum

Attached Files

swt2005

swt2005

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
same problem. the window comes up saying it has encountered a problem and needs to close. that error message comes up on all the programs that don't work right.