Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No connections with Asus PCE AC68 wireless card adapter

• Please log in to reply

dreadpiratedazza

dreadpiratedazza

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Hi everyone,

with my new pc I got a supposedly very fast network wireless adapter card: Asus PCE AC68 dual band PCI-E adapter. This was supposed to connect to my wireless router: D-Link DIR-880L. Both are 802.11ac so there shouldn't be any problems. However, since switching on the wireless card I've had no internet connection. Here are a descriptions of the symptoms:

1) as soon as the adapter starts it interferes with all wireless devices in the house. We have had no connectivity issues in the house since we moved over to a new router last year: D-Link wireless ac 1900 dual band DIR-880L. As soon as I disable the Asus adapter normal service in the house is resumed; everyone can connect. I've performed this test twice today and twice I have got the same results. So we can conclude that lack of connectivity is not an ISP issue of weekend maintenance.

2) On closer inspection, when our router's service lights are observed when the Asus adapter is switched on, it becomes apparent that the D-Link router is in a continual cycle of rebooting every 30-60 seconds. This only happens when the Asus adapter is 'working'. Once again, this has happened twice today. This would explain connectivity of devices in the house cycling in and out of being associated with the network but having no internet connectivity. Indeed, when the pc itself is connected to the network without any internet, it only last for 15-20 seconds, then it drops out.

3) The D-Link router's home page(192.168.0.1) couldn't be accessed during these periods.

4) Microsoft Edge said it wasn't connected and suggested I go to network settings.

5) I opened up the Asus wireless adapter utility to see if I could figure out what was going on. Under status tab it was clear that the adapter was cycling in and out of connection with the network. Even when connected it had no internet.

6) Under the survey tab, very often the wireless adapter couldn't discover the broadcasts of the router (on two bands for guests and private use - 4 in total), though most probably to do with the router rebooting itself cyclically.

There is obviously a so​ftware/settings conflict. I would attempt to do it myself but the Asus utility is so finicky and unclear. I know that the pc is on warranty, but I'm not just going to sit on my hands. If anyone can help me sort this, I would be most appreciative.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Sounds like it may be a defective adapter that needs to be replaced.

dreadpiratedazza

dreadpiratedazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Yes, looks like it. I've tried the adapter in all PCI slots and nothings working. Scan 3SX, whom I bought the PC from, seem to think so.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.