Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual Monitors / AV Receiver

Best Answer JMan725 , 03 November 2015 - 08:05 PM

Ended up solving the problem.  If anyone else is experiencing the same, here's what I did: Uninstalled graphics driversUnplugged the HDMI cable leading to the AV Receiver/HDTV so just the... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

JMan725

JMan725

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi folks,

I'm having an issue with a dual monitor setup that's driving me mad.  I've got two screens connected via HDMI - one directly to my main monitor, the other to a Sony AV Receiver which then outputs video to a HDTV which I use as a second screen sometimes and audio to a 5.1 setup.  Normally i'm able to run both or either one of the screens independently without any issues.  However I recently re-installed windows on my machine and now if the HDTV is off, the other monitor will go black.  If i try to boot the computer without the HDTV on, it will continually restart and the monitor will remain black.  Ultimately, I can't use the PC without the HDTV on.

I can't seem to figure out where the issue is.  The wiring hasn't changed at all, so that's not the issue.  I'm assuming it has to be with the video drivers or in the video settings.  I've updated the video drivers to the latest version but the problem persists.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Windows 10 64 Bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti

Advertisements

JMan725

JMan725

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
✓  Best Answer

Ended up solving the problem.  If anyone else is experiencing the same, here's what I did:

Uninstalled graphics drivers

Unplugged the HDMI cable leading to the AV Receiver/HDTV so just the main monitor was connected

Reinstalled the graphics drivers

Plugged in the HDMI cable leading to the AV Receiver/HDTV

Now i'm able to use both monitors or either one independently without any issues.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,794 posts

:welcome:  JMan725,

Glad to hear that you have been able to resolve the issue yourself and thank you for posting the solution so that it may help others  :thumbsup: