Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Defaults To Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Jessica040404

Jessica040404

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
I cannot get out of safe mode. I went into safe mode and whenever I restart my computer the black area shows up and gives me 7 choices: normal, logged (bootlog.txt), safe mode, safe mode with network support, step by step confirmation, command prompt only, and safe mode command prompt only. It will not allow me to choose normal and everytime I do, it restarts the computer and goes back to the page.

At the bottom of the black screen it says, "Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt. Choose safe mode, to start windows with a minimal set of drivers." But, i went to safe mode and let it load all the way and then restarted and it still does it. Also, I unplugged the computer overnight and replugged it back in this morning and it is still doing it. When I went into safe mode, I right clicked on my computer, went to properties and went to CD Rom and changed the drive to a D: because I don't have a D: drive and that is what I was trying to fix. But now, its completely screwed up with this safe mode stuff. My Computer is doing exactly what was going wrong in this thread: http://www.geekstogo...ode-t32244.html I have no idea what is meant by: "Okay.. Power down the system and open the case.. Touch some part of the metal case before going inside..
Now, unseat and reseat everything from the hdd connectors to the ram to any PCI cards.. make sure you get them in good and tight.."
Also, I purposely loaded my computer in safe mode, so I don't know if that is the problem. Can someone explain how to do this?

I tried to load it in selective startup, I tried to reset the BIOS to default, I tried to undo what I did to the CD Rom, but it will not let me change it. I ran spybot and other virus programs to find no viruses. Someone told me to uninstall my CD Rom, but I am afraid to. I tried system file checker, but nothing shows up that needs changed. I am at my wits end and need this computer for my summer college classes. Can you please let me know if u have any help you could offer me?
Thanks Alot! Jess - Completely Clueless :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

First of all, let's see if we can get your system up and running without needing the cd-rom..

When I said "power down, touch metal case, etc", what I mean is "Turn off the system, unplug the power cord.. Next, open up the case.. Now, touch some part the metal frame inside the case before you touch anything else"..

Got all that??

Murray

Jessica040404

Jessica040404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks

Yeah, but I am on the school library computer right now because I cannot get on the internet when in safe mode on my computer. So, I have to go home and come back after doing this but I understand that. :tazz: next...

Jessica040404

Jessica040404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I also forgot to write that it says on the black screen under the different choices to load in : "Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt. Choose Safe Mode, to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers"

Don't know if that helps

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

I also forgot to write that it says on the black screen under the different choices to load in : "Warning: Windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt. Choose Safe Mode, to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers"

Don't know if that helps

View Post

Did you try to re-install XP earlier??

Once the case is open, reseat everything.. all connectors, PCI cards, video card, memory, etc..

If unsure, get someone to help you!!

Murray

Jessica040404

Jessica040404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
Thanks for replying. I don't have XP, I have windows 98. I cannot get my D: drive to work, so I cannot reinstall windows 98. :tazz:
What do you mean "reseat"? Does that mean take it out and put it back in? or just make sure its in their tight?
I found this: http://support.micro...&NoWebContent=1
But, there is no Wnbootng.sts file in my computer and I have no windows 98 startup disk. ;)
I am going to go buy a screw driver to take the back of the computer off then I will come back to the library to see if u replied about "reseat", thanks again for helping me with this ;)

Jessica040404

Jessica040404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
UP!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
sounds like a bad driver or hardware malfunction...while in safe mode, do a find for *.cab

check advanced and search hidden and system files....tell us if it finds a large number of such files with names like win98_15.cab, etc. and where they are.

Jessica040404

Jessica040404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
YES!
Whenever I go to Command Prompt and type in scanreg /restore , there was 1 that popped up. When I restored it, I went back into scanreg /restore, and there was another one with a different number. Then, I went into safe mode and they are in system files. The original one that was there first was dated the day the problem started. It was named rb004.cab , now there are more, like, rb000.cab; rb001.cab; rb002.cab; rb003.cab; rb004.cab; rb005.cab; rb006.cab .
So, when i clicked on them it has like win.ini and 3 other things ending in ".ini" in each folder. So, I sent rb004.cab to the recycle bin and tried to restart the computer in selective startup and it still will not boot normally. Do I need to delete them all? or is there something else I can do to resolve my problem with this?
THANKS!!!

Jessica040404

Jessica040404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
UP!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no, do not delete ANY of those files...if they are in the recycle bin, put them back...I never said delete them, I want to use them.

The files you listed are backup files, not the files I was looking for. I was looking for your win98_xx.cab files which are your installation files.

Did you see any of those?

they start with win98_somenumber.cab

What were you doing to start all this? You will not see your cd-rom in safe mode since safe mode does not install the driver, so you must have changed the letter in normal mode.

You said you had no D; drive---what was the cd-rom originally? Windows will assign your drive letters automatically so I am curious as to why it skipped D: when assigning the cd-rom drive letter originally...was there once another drive?

Jessica040404

Jessica040404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK, I only sent one to the recycle bin and I will restore it when I go back home. I did not see any win98_xx.cab like file. When I go to C: then Recycled, I get the following files: Dc516.bmp ; Dc515.mp3 ; Dc516.cab ; Dc514.zip ; Dc513.zip ; Dc512.zip ; Dc511.exe ; Dc517 (norton antivirus file?) ; Q330995.exe ; Info2. But, they are not in the Recycle BIN. Those are dated and timed at the exact time my computer went into safe mode.

There was once a D: drive. But I downloaded Windows Media Player last year and it sent my computer into safe mode. Then, I deleted WMP and get out of safe mode, but ever sense then I have not had a D: Drive. I wanted to update my Norton Antivirus Program with the 2005 edition so I searched the internet and someone said to get your drive back, go to safe mode and change the drive to D. Obviously, he/she was incorrect. I am now stuck in safe mode though and now I don't care if I don't have a D: drive or not, all I need is it out of safe mode. HaHa!
I went into safe mode and to get it into safe mode, I hit F8 key when it was booting and it went right into it with SAFE MODE on all four corners of my screen, as it is now.
The Drop Down list was blank, it is now still on D, but I cannot select just nothing. Is there maybe a way to get nothing in the blank instead of picking one of the drop down items? Maybe that would fix the problem. I am not sure though. Is there anyway I can get out of it? I would really appreciate any help you could offer me.
Thank You.
Jess

Jessica040404

Jessica040404

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I also wanted to let you know that there are some .CAB files in the folder C:/Win98 ? I don't know if that helps or not.
Gonna bump this up!
Thanks