My windows and Norton was working fine (albeit my subscription to Norton had expired 6 months previously)
One day I received a popup message saying "Change Kernel". I said no, but it kept popping up as soon as I clicked no. Thinking it may be Norton anti-virus or windows wanting to change something I finally said yes. From then on Norton did not start. I tried many things to make it work,
1. Update to Windows 10 - Failed to update (Error Code: 8007045D)
2. Windows 7 updates - Failed
3. Windows Defender Updates - Failed
4. Updated my Norton Subscription and had Norton help take command of my PC, they could not remove NAV, nor could they run the Norton Removal tool, or the new software they loaded to the PC, and told me to talk with Microsoft, as there must be a Windows Problem
5. Could not run any Malware or other anti-virus programs.
6. Occasionally I would get the blue screen of death.
I essentially could download and run any normal program okay. But any Virus Scanning Software or Malware scanning software would not run. This included malwarebytes, rkill, BitDefender, Norton, AVI, and countless others I tried.
I read through all the forums and could not work out the problem.
I finally stumbled upon a recommendation to use Dr Web Ltd. This had the advantage of it can run without being installed. It is free, and it also fixes it for free.
It actually ran, thankfully, and during the scan it found the following:
"HDD0 Partition 1 - Active MBR NTFS\exFAT Partition - Trojan.Mayachok5"
I told the program to fix it, and woohoo, my other malware and Anti-virus software finally worked. Now Norton is installed and working fine and windows updates are working.
It was such an annoying problem that persisted so long, and I was so relieved, and since there is really no one else who has written a solution, I decided to write my first post to a tech site.
Hopefully if you have the same problem it will work for you as well. Let me know if it solves your problem.