Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen going black, problem with ram/graphic card

• Please log in to reply

Xawood

Xawood

• Pip
  • 3 posts

New here, so hope this is the correct part of the forum. :headscratch:

Been having some (a lot) problems for quite a while with my pc. Mainly when I play games like heroes of the storm, wow, aion, some other games and even WC3 when theres a crapload of units everywhere that my screen goes black. To fix it i have to turn off and on my screen (done it so many times that my button to my screen fell off...), press ctrl+alt+del and then it goes back to normal. Some games like tera and sc2 it happens not as often, but other games like final fantasy XIV it dies multiple times in a short period of time.

Sometimes its fine, sometimes it happens a lot.

Screen goes black while playing wow, hots, aion, FFXIV etc.

Games tabs down and then I cant tab back up for a good 20 sec or so.

Game crashes when a lot of stuff is going on, sometimes wow crashes and I get an error saying something like  "not enough memory" with 16gb ram.

Sometimes it says that nvidia has crashed, but seems fine after 10-20 sec so dunno.

Geforce GTX 5700, intel core i5 - 2500k CPU @ 3.30 ghz, 16gb ram

it says physical memory (MB) 16.354 - cached 7424 - available 12.852 - free 5523

under cpu usage which is 6%, it says memory 3.43

I know literally nothing about computers besides how to install games, so I've posted things my friend asked about and hope its enough.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Xawood,

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

when I play games like heroes of the storm, wow, aion, some other games and even WC3 when theres a crapload of units everywhere that my screen goes black.

Often caused by overheating and/or driver issues, what you describe below is odd as turning off the display by its button would not fix either.

To fix it i have to turn off and on my screen (done it so many times that my button to my screen fell off...),

To rule the screen out as the cause can you try another one or alternatively try the present screen on another computer.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the PSU (power supply unit)

Geforce GTX 5700,

Should the above be GTX 570.

We could do with a couple of expanded screenshots of HWMonitor and Speedfan, preferably taken after some gaming has been done, this will give more realistic readings;

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Xawood

Xawood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for the help.

The temp usually goes up to 75c (never seen it above) when gaming, and the CPU usage was around 40%.

After I closed the game it goes pretty quickly down to 55C. The HWMonitor thing that popped up was huge and I couldn't fit all of it, so hopefully I got the right thing

PS: sorry for butchering paint

Edit: Played some tera earlier, had no problems at all besides that I got sweaty cause the core temp got up to 80-82 degrees. As soon as I closed the game it dropped down to 70ish within 10 sec.

After starcraft 2 crashed I noticed that the physical memory (MB), which I assume is ram, said

total 16.345

Cached 11.077

Available 11.487

Free 448

Attached Thumbnails

• core temp.jpg

Edited by Xawood, 10 November 2015 - 10:43 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Polite reminder;

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Always happy to help but as my signature says I have reservations about assisting unfollowed topics.

Xawood

Xawood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Followed^ Couldnt find it before

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Your hardware is shown to be overheating even when not under load.

Are you overclocking, if yes, let us know and definitely stop asap by restoring the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS.

From my reply #2

To rule the screen out as the cause can you try another one or alternatively try the present screen on another computer.

Has this been tried, if yes, what happened.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the PSU (power supply unit)

Can we have this information please.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Xawood, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.