Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop starts but the screen doesnt go on! Help!

• Please log in to reply

Trigger234

Trigger234

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have Lenovo Thinkpad E430. I used it for work and didn't use it that much. It was bought in 2013. Since it was for work i didnt download anything on it. Last night i got home and noticed the screen was at the login screen and was frozen ( this has never happened before). I shut it down and it was working fine for about 3 hours, then windows updated automaticaly and restarted... It worked about another hour and then i was watching a video and it made a skip sound and shut off... I can now only hear the laptop, the power battery lights uo, but the screen is completely black. I have tried a bunch of different things as far as taking the battery out, hitting the power button 10 times, etc... I still get nothing.

As i stated this laptop wasn't used that often. I have had an HP last 10 years, is this just a Lenovo thing? Any help would be appreciated. I don't know what to do!

Thanks!!!!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:   Trigger234,

Some questions if I may;

I can now only hear the laptop the power battery lights uo, but the screen is completely black. I have tried a bunch of different things as far as taking the battery out, hitting the power button 10 times, etc... I still get nothing.

Can you explain what you mean by "I can now only hear the laptop,"

Have you tried connecting the notebook to an external display to see if you get a display on that.

Have you tried accessing the BIOS by pressing F1 or F2 after powering on the computer.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode.

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Trigger234

Trigger234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for helping.

When i say i can hear it, i can here it turn on and can hear it making noise.

I tried to plug it into a monitor and it doesnt seem to recognizs it.., i could be doing it wrong!

As for the other options, the screen isnt blaxk as in its on... Its black as in it doesnt ever show a sign that its on

Trigger234

Trigger234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Also,

The battery usually holds for 4 hours. I noticed tonight after i had it charging all night that the red light only stayed on for about 30 minutes or so. I have tried to keep it plugged in as well and still have the same ossue of the screen staying off... Just thought i would give that information as well...

Trigger234

Trigger234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anyone?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

What sort of noise, the internal cooling fan running running or the Windows welcome screen log in sound are just two examples of what can still be heard when the screen is black.

I tried to plug it into a monitor and it doesnt seem to recognizs it.., i could be doing it wrong!

Did you toggle between the internal LCD display and  the external display by pressing down the Fn and F6 keys at the same time. 

As for the other options, the screen isnt blaxk as in its on... Its black as in it doesnt ever show a sign that its on 

There are circumstances were a screen remains black from the moment you turn on the power but you can still access the BIOS before the computer gets to the Windows log in page, one such example is if the notebooks screen has somehow become disabled/toggled to external screen mode, have you tried accessing the BIOS by pressing F1 or F2 after powering on the computer.

The battery usually holds for 4 hours. I noticed tonight after i had it charging all night that the red light only stayed on for about 30 minutes or so. I have tried to keep it plugged in as well 

The first thing that I do when troubleshooting notebooks is remove the main power battery, this removes the possibility of a bad battery as being the cause and I would suggest that you do the same.

Anyone? 

I did emphasise the fact that I may not be around in bold red text in my signature, I also included an apology for any inconvenience it may cause, sorry if that was insufficient  :( The Waiting Room

Trigger234

Trigger234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Apparently i forgot how to read!

I can't seem to access the bios or toggle the screen...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Just noticed and corrected a typo on my behalf as it should be Fn + the F6 key and not the F7 key  :oops:

Not being able to access the BIOS is never a good sign as it suggests serious hardware failure, if Fn + the F6 key does not help in any way some basic hardware checks need to be done.

What sort of noise, the internal cooling fan running running or the Windows welcome screen log in sound are just two examples of what can still be heard when the screen is black.

Can you describe the sounds that you hear for us.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Trigger234, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.