Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Retrieve Recycle Bin in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

Retire48

Retire48

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I gave my old computer (Windows 98) to my father and he inadvertently deleted a Symantec file (part of Norton Internet Security). The computer now gives an error message Symantec cannot find in C: Progra~1/Symantec/SYMEVNT.386 then freezes. On restart it goes into safe mode.

We think that the file is still in the recycle bin. Is there a way to retrieve this file from the recycle bin in safe mode? If so, will moving it back resolve the problem?

Any help is appreciated!

Edited by Retire48, 14 June 2005 - 11:18 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can do this, right click the recycle bin then explore, click the symantec file to highlight then right click and select restore, it should solve it

Retire48

Retire48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the response. However, this doesn't seem to work in safe-mode. Am I missing something?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I booted a 98SE PC to safe mode and deleted then restored a file in safe mode, which bit does not work?

Retire48

Retire48

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
He can't access the recycle bin in safe-mode.