Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with Graphics card

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I am trying to build my son a computer for Christmas to play Fallout 4.  I purchased an HP 8200 Elite CMT.  It has: Intel i5 2400, 500 GB hard drive, 8 GB ram.  But I need a Graphics card.  I bought a Evga 560 Ti for it but the power supply does not have the extra cables to hook it up.  What graphics card would be good to put in it and not need anything else?  

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

depending on what PSU is in the system, you might be able to get an adapter cable for the PCIe power cables. they come off of a spare molex power cable and hook up to the PCIe power for the video card. of course, the PSU has to meet the minimum requirements for the card (looks like 500 to 550 watts depending on the exact model)

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I have the stock 320 watt power supply.  I am pretty sure I cannot upgrade the PSU.  I thought what you said about the spare cables, and ordered some already.  Hopefully the PSU will hold up.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

A bit late to the party,

Was researching before dsenettereplied, this is what I have found.

Your PSU is a AT format and there is not a higher watt PSU available, 

[attachment=79377:HP 320W PSU.jpg]

Source, > http://h10032.www1.h...l/c02778024.pdf

The 560ti 2GB needs 2 6 pin connctors and has a TDP of 170w, your CPU is 95w  + your other hardware.   I would lay odds that the PSU would deliver under 320w.

I think it very risky to run the 560 ti.

If you can return/exchange the card, consider a 750 ti, performance is better and only draws max 75w from the PCI-E slot.

>  http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814487024

If you are stuck with the card, a possible solution,  a Independent/Supplementary PSU, like this, (note, no longer in production) > http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817104054

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

as iammykyl said, you DO NOT want to run the system under powered. bad things will happen (at best, stuff just doesn't perform as well. at worst you actually damage the hardware)

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

I bought the card on Ebay, so i guess I can just sell it.  And get the 750 ti, since the Independent/Supplementary PSU is not in production anymore.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Or what would be the best/cheapest option for playing fallout 4 for my 11 year old son?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

If this is still to be used in the HP 8200, then the 750 ti is about your only option due to the PSU and lack of PCI-E plugs.   The actual official system requirements are very high,

Minimum,I ntel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz, Your OK there.

GPU, GTX 550 Ti 2GB, TDP to high, you can't use and the 750 ti is better.

Recommended, Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz.   NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB

some testing and recommendations.,

http://www.eurogamer...-fallout-4-4023

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Thank you very much for the help!!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Your welcome civiccrazy :thumbsup: 

If you have other questions or need a little more help, just post.

We really would appropriate feedback on how the card performs, most useful to other members in the same situation.

Thanks.