Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I upgrade from Vista to Win 7 ?

• Please log in to reply

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I purchased it from Liberty University in Lynchburg VA - they had over 200 of these T410's

It would have been better if you had included the above information in your OP, you have been trying to use an OEM product key on an OEM computer/motherboard that has already been registered with Microsoft through the Volume Licensing Programs with an allowance for a lesser OS than Windows 7.

I also noted in your OP that you mention that the notebook was running Vista Home Basic, this particular OS did not ship as standard with the T410 with the only Vista offering being Vista Business (32-bit) see here this limits any Microsoft upgrade path from disk to either Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Ultimate, much better to skip the upgrade option and purchase a new disk and unused licence key like the one that you mention in your reply #13.

Have you got a link to the Windows 7 DVD on ebay.

The notebook when new did have an option of either an 80 or 128GB SSD upgrade prior to purchase and so would not normally be an issue, I would atm stick with trying to install Windows 7 to the present HDD as a precaution, if Windows 7 installs + fully updates ok and the same for the systems own drivers I would then consider purchasing an SSD, you dont want to go to the time, trouble and expense of purchasing anything if there is a chance that Windows 7 will not install on the computer for whatever reason.

I apoligize for not including the info on where I purchased it; I did not think that was relevant.

Here is the Win 7 DVD I purchased:

http://www.ebay.com/...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks for your help !

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

No biggy but I wouldn't have suggested asking Lenovo for recovery media had I known.

Looks like a genuine full retail disk and not the upgrade type as in the attached image below.

You are welcome btw  :)

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I am back !

Ok, so I have this Win & DVD with a valid product key.

But ..... no I am not 100% sure that I can upgrade from Windows Vista Home Basic 32 bit to Win 7 Pro 64 bit. 

I have Googled to try and get more info on that but the info I have seen so far is inconclusive.

I do not want to "waste" my product key on a laptop that can not or should not be upgraded.

Does anyone have any more information ?

As always, thanks in advance.

Edited by Buccaneer, 17 December 2015 - 01:13 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

Upgrading from a Windows 32 bits to 64 bits isn't possible you need to do a Clean Install.

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I have no problem doing a clean install - there is nothing on the laptops hard drive that I need to save.

However, I have reached the end of my knowledge and expertise.

What is the best way to do the upgrade to Win 7 Pro ?

Is it as easy as just inserting the dvd and following the prompts ?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Is it as easy as just inserting the dvd and following the prompts ?

Yes. Boot using the DVD at some point you can select the Hard Disk containing Windows Vista and delete all the Partitions, let the Setup create the needed Partitions automatically unless you don't want to use the full disk for the Operating System.

http://www.wikihow.c...s-7-(Beginners)

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Thanks sleepy; I will let you know how it works out.  I am going to wait until Saturday to do the upgrade.

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

OK, well I finally had the time to install Win 7 Pro on my laptop.

It was easier than I thought.

The problem now is that my laptop will no longer connect to the internet - it says no connections are available.

Why can't it see my existing wireless network ??

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Also, my screen resoultion is set to as high as it will go: 1280 x 800.

But the screen does not look as good as it did when I was running Vista; are there settings I need to change ?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

until SleepyDude can back to you, don't forget that with a fresh install you will need to install all required drivers. Win 7 contains many drivers but not all of them that you need.

You need to go to the manufacturer's website and download them.... its usually best to install them in this order:

1 Chipset

2 Video

3 Network adaptors

4 Audio

let us know if this does the trick for you.

Regards

paws

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Hi,

OK, well I finally had the time to install Win 7 Pro on my laptop.

It was easier than I thought.

The problem now is that my laptop will no longer connect to the internet - it says no connections are available.

Why can't it see my existing wireless network ??

Most likely because the driver for the wireless card is missing!

• Open Device Manager click Start then on the Search box type devmgmt.msc and press Enter
  • the Device Manager window will open
  • right click the Unknown device corresponding to the wireless card
  • click Properties > Tab Details > On the Property box select Hardware Ids
  • Copy & Paste the values on the box to your Reply

Note: If you can't ID the missing Wireless card post the ID's for all the Unknown devices.

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

ACPI\IBM0068

*IBM0068

Buccaneer

Buccaneer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I think this is the right page for the drivers I need, but I am clueless on which ones to save to a thumb drive and then run on the laptop.

http://support.lenov...s/thinkpad-t410

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Type the serial number on that page to see if it limits the list of drivers to the ones specific for the machine you have.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts

Start with the Chipset http://support.lenov...nloads/DS014952see if it install correctly.