Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Issues with setting up Homegroup - Windows 10

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

cvrband

cvrband

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

I'm trying to set up a homegroup on my new Windows 10 desktop machine, but it keeps asking me to "join" a group saying that a homegroup already exists on the network and was created by my laptop.  I must have set up a homegroup on the laptop back when I set it up and never connected the other computers.  I tried to access the homegroup on the laptop to retrieve the password, but it also asks me to "join" and I can't access the password.  I even went so far as to do a clean install of windows on the laptop to try and clear the homegroup setting, but that didn't work either.

Is there a way around this to create a new homegroup and abandon the old one or fix what I already have?  Thanks!

Advertisements