Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Western Digital HDD

• Please log in to reply

jimfu2

jimfu2

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I have just built a computer and have used a Western Digital 200Gb ATA HDD. Everything seems to be ok in BIOS and the HDD drive is recognised as being 200Gb. The problem is that in local disc properties it is only reading it to be 137Gb. I have service pack 2 installed and my file system is NTFS. I can't work it out can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Advertisements

scrushmaster

scrushmaster

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
try serparating the disk into a few extra partitions windows (NFTS) can still handle only so much. Maybe someone gave you a fake sticker that read 200 gigs on that drive lol.

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

try serparating the disk into a few extra partitions windows (NFTS) can still handle only so much...

View Post

He is right, my friend had the same problem, and all you have to do is partition your drive into two seperate ones each under 137 (prefferably 120). Also keep in mind that Windows keeps an extra 8 MB unpartitioned as sort of a "buffer" so in reality you can partition it into two drives like 100 GB and 92 GB (100+92+8=200).

The easiest way to do this would be to reformat the entire drive and partition it while your installing windows, or you could do it the harder way (but keep all your files) and use a program such as partition magic to format the remaining empty HDD space.

--Chris

jimfu2

jimfu2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks a lot guys I will try what you said.