Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I have a 32 or 64 System

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

ding dong

ding dong

• PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

My System says 64 but when i use Command Prompt it says 32?

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

Advertisements

Nyser

Nyser

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Hi ding dong,

To check what version of Windows you are running

• Search for "System" with the search bar or go into control panel and look for "System"
  • In the Systems look at System Type: it will say what version you are running for example 64-bit Operating system or 32-bit Operating system.

Oddly enough I believe system32 and SysWOW64 are actually the opposite of what they sound like

• system32 - Contains 64-bit DLLs
  • sysWOW64 -Contains 32-bit DLLs

Edited by Nyser, 17 December 2015 - 07:29 PM.

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

All you have to do is bring up your System Settings (which are easily accessed either via "My Computer"/"This PC" or Control Panel):

System_Settings.jpg

All versions of Windows have a system32 directory, because even 64-bit systems have some 32-bit "parts".  The presence of a system32 directory has nothing to do with whether you have 32-bit versus 64-bit.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

My system is a 64 bit system which I have already checked as per your screenshot...... what now?

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

What do you mean, "What now?"  Your original and only question was how to determine whether you have a 32-bit versus a 64-bit system.  There's nothing else to be answered.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

I have a 64 bit system with a 32 bit command prompt?

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Nope!

The command prompt is referencing the System32 folder... it has nothing to do with whether or not you are running a 32bit or 64 bit Windows operating system... the same folder will be there in either.

Regards

paws

britechguy

britechguy

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

You just don't seem to be getting that the command prompt has nothing, absolutely nothing, with the bit-size your system uses.  That's directly dependent on your CPU/APU.

Every Windows installation has a C:\windows\system32 folder.  It has nothing, absolutely nothing, with whether your system is 64-bit or not.  64-bit systems still use some 32-bit libraries.

Here's a screen shot of how Command Prompt window looks when it opens on my system (without the yellow annotation text, of course). 

Yours opened up in C:\Windows\System32 because you chose to run it elevated as Administrator, and it opens in that folder when you do that.

Command_Prompt_Annotated.jpg

Edited by britechguy, 18 December 2015 - 05:16 PM.

ding dong

ding dong

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

ok thanks..... problem solved I guess....

Joyce008

Joyce008

• Pip
  • 2 posts

You can check it in the "Properties" in computer.

MichaelMarks

MichaelMarks

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

You just don't seem to be getting that the command prompt has nothing, absolutely nothing, with the bit-size your system uses.  That's directly dependent on your CPU/APU.

Every Windows installation has a C:\windows\system32 folder.  It has nothing, absolutely nothing, with whether your system is 64-bit or not.  64-bit systems still use some 32-bit libraries.

Here's a screen shot of how Command Prompt window looks when it opens on my system (without the yellow annotation text, of course). 

Yours opened up in C:\Windows\System32 because you chose to run it elevated as Administrator, and it opens in that folder when you do that.

attachicon.gifCommand_Prompt_Annotated.jpg

Now this solves the problem. Nice post britechguy.

Edited by MichaelMarks, 03 February 2016 - 10:26 AM.

EmishOrc

EmishOrc

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

britech your answer is the best. So I upvoted it.

Edited by EmishOrc, 04 February 2016 - 12:23 AM.

jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• Expert
  • 92 posts
  • MVP

You have both - a 32 bit + a 64 bit command prompt on your system.

If you run cmd.exe from the \system32 folder - 64 bit

If you run cmd.exe from the \syswow64 folder - 32 bit

By default, an x64 Windows system will run the 64 bit cmd prompt.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2