Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questioning about transferring a game

• Please log in to reply

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hello Ladies & Gents. I just re-installed Skyrim on my laptop, and wanted to get cranking on installing the mods I need. My question is this, one I get everything set, can I somehow copy the contents of my game folder, and transfer the game to my gaming PC, without having to reinstall it from STEAM there as well and all the mods again. Will copy & paste work on an installed game?

Thank you Gamers.

Advertisements

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Hi BearCavalry .

Steam has a built-in backup tool to use with any of the games and software you own. You can back up (or restore) individual or multiple items at once. Steam will then compress the game(s) to a location that you specify.

1.Go to Steam > Backup and Restore Games. Select "Backup currently installed games" and click "Next"
2.A game selection window will come up. Tick the checkbox of each game you want to backup
3.Select where you want the backup to be saved.(usually on a usb or external hard disk so you could restore it on another machine)
4.Name the folder for the selected games and how to split them up.(don't care about how to split them unless you want to burn them)
5.Now just wait till the back up is done

back up done, time to restore on your gaming pc

1.Go to Steam > "Backup and Restore Games..." From there, select "Restore a previous backup" and press "Next."
2.Steam asks for the saved backup directory.
3.Tick the checkbox of the games you want to restore and press "Next."
4.Wait for the installation to be done.

i'm not sure if that works for the mods or you need to back them up manually just try it first .

Good Luck .

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Hi BearCavalry .

Steam has a built-in backup tool to use with any of the games and software you own. You can back up (or restore) individual or multiple items at once. Steam will then compress the game(s) to a location that you specify.

1.Go to Steam > Backup and Restore Games. Select "Backup currently installed games" and click "Next"
2.A game selection window will come up. Tick the checkbox of each game you want to backup
3.Select where you want the backup to be saved.(usually on a usb or external hard disk so you could restore it on another machine)
4.Name the folder for the selected games and how to split them up.(don't care about how to split them unless you want to burn them)
5.Now just wait till the back up is done

back up done, time to restore on your gaming pc

1.Go to Steam > "Backup and Restore Games..." From there, select "Restore a previous backup" and press "Next."
2.Steam asks for the saved backup directory.
3.Tick the checkbox of the games you want to restore and press "Next."
4.Wait for the installation to be done.

i'm not sure if that works for the mods or you need to back them up manually just try it first .

Good Luck .

WHoah!!!! Thanks!!!

We're in the money!

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
You welcome mate.
I think a mod can now close this thread or mark it as solved .