Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Questions about installing Windows 7 (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 25 December 2015 - 01:30 PM

Hello Khronolupus, TipTo ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP. What's the difference... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Khronolupus

Khronolupus

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hi, i want to reformat my pc (Windows 7, service pack 1, 64 bits, original), but i got a few questions first.

What's the difference between a clean install of windows 7 and a clean install with an upgrade windows 7?

I dont got enough free space for the installation, it will erase my files before installing or i need to delete some things to make space first?

My product id can be used again or is already "used"?

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Khronolupus,

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

What's the difference between a clean install of windows 7 and a clean install with an upgrade windows 7?

A clean install is exactly that, a full format of the HDD or partition on the HDD where Windows 7 is to be installed.

You can use a Windows 7 upgrade disk to do a clean install on a HDD as long as the disk and licence agreement is used for upgrading an earlier OS, most commonly Vista or for a re installation of Windows 7 due to circumstances such as your malware infection, the previous installation must either be uninstalled or ceased to be used.

I dont got enough free space for the installation, it will erase my files before installing or i need to delete some things to make space first?

Windows 7 will format the HDD or partition and delete all data as part of the installation procedure unless you choose the upgrade option.  

My product id can be used again or is already "used"?

You can reuse the product key that is presently in use on the computer, just make sure that in the case of Windows 7 you have your COA (product key) sticker or the details written down and kept safe before you begin the procedure,

Can I ask what type of disk it is that you have and do you have your product key sticker or the details written down, I am not asking for you to post the code only checking to see if you need help obtaining it for the present installation.

Can we have an expanded screenshot of your HDD so we can check for any partitions;

1. Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
2. Click on the System and Security link.
Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small iconsview of Control Panel, you won't see this link so just click on the Administrative Tools icon and skip to Step 4.
3. In the System and Security window, click on the Administrative Tools heading located near the bottom of the window.
4. In the Administrative Tools window, double-click on the Computer Management icon.
5. When Computer Management opens, click on Disk Management on the left side of the window, located under Storage.
After a brief loading period, Disk Management should now appear on the right side of the Computer Management window.
Note: If you don't see Disk Management listed, you may need to click on the |> icon to the left of the Storage icon.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Khronolupus

Khronolupus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

i got a sticker on the bottom of laptop who says product key, 25 letters & numbers in series of 5. Its differente from the product id from muy computer (5 numbers, 3 letters, 7 numbers, 5 numbers). What is the correct?

My cd-rom drive is not functioning, i need to use an usb?

My computer is in spanish, is that a problem?

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk managment.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
i got a sticker on the bottom of laptop who says product key, 25 letters & numbers in series of 5.

This is the correct type of code but I will ask you to make sure that it matches the one in use on the computer, use Magical JellyBean Keyfinder (free) to confirm this for yourself, see here

Its differente from the product id from muy computer (5 numbers, 3 letters, 7 numbers, 5 numbers). 

This should be the information that tells you the type of licence that you have and the three letters should be OEM on a brand name computer such as HP.

My cd-rom drive is not functioning, i need to use an usb?

My computer is in spanish, is that a problem?

If my limited Spanish is any good then you have a recovery partition on the HDD, if this is intact then you do not need to use a disk or USB ISO to reinstall Windows, please note that using this will restore the computers HDD to out of the box new with the loss of all personal data on it and as the computer is infected with malware you must be careful what data you back up as you do not want to spread the malware any further, documents and pictures should be ok but it would be best if DonnaB checked back over this thread to let you know if any/all data that you wanted to back up can be done so safely, 

Will check back later on today.

Khronolupus

Khronolupus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

It's OEM, yes.

The number in the keyfinder doesnt match with the sticker, I need to use that?

Sounds great dont need to use a disk or usb, how can i do it? :D I want to back some non-encrypted files and some .txt and .jpg encrypted, i got most documents previously saved in an external disk.

I need to call DonnaB from my old thread?

Thanks for the help.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Kronolupus,

I need to call DonnaB from my old thread?

As promised, I have been watching your topic. Since phillpower2 is away from his desk, I can answer your questions above.

It's OEM, yes.

The number in the keyfinder doesnt match with the sticker, I need to use that?

Computers, which are built by large manufactures that come with Windows Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

The OEM SLP is the product key that is used by the factory and is the product key found if you use a keyfinder program such as Belarc or Magical Jellybean keyfinder. If you restore to factory via the recovery partition or by using the recovery discs provided/created, this OEM key will be recognized by the BIOS and will self activate.

The COA SLP product key that is found on the sticker, either on the side, bottom or sometimes in a laptop's battery compartment of your computer is a valid product key, though should only be used in limited situations (such as a case when the OEM SLP key stops self-activating for whatever reason), and this key, if used to restore to factory, may or may not have to be activated by phone. Phillpower2 may be able to correct my thoughts on this, if needed.

What is the make and model of your Sony Vaio computer?

As for the files you want to back up, you may want to save the non-encrypted files to a different external storage device than the encrypted files.

Khronolupus

Khronolupus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thanks for the answer!

Is a Sony Vaio, model PCG-61911U or VPCEG15FL (i think is the same).

Ok, ill save the encrypted ones in another device c:

Ill wait for phillpower then, for how to reformat my pc.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
You're welcome. :)

Knowing the make and model may help phillpower2 with exact instructions since different models may entail different methods to restore to factory.

:)

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
1.Disconnect all external devices.
2.Restart the computer and immediately begin tapping the F10 key until the edit boot options screen is displayed.
3.At the boot options screen,press enter.
4.The VAIO care rescue window will now be displayed,click start recovery wizard.
5.In the do you need to rescue your data? window,click yes i'd like to rescue my data.
6.Connect an external storage device to the computer
7.In the select rescue type window, click custom rescue.
8.Click to select the drive where you would like to back up your data, and then click the next button.
9.In the confirm options and start rescue window, click the start rescue button.
10.In the rescue has completed successfully window, click the next button.
11.In the are you sure you want to start recovery? window,click yes i'm sure and then click the start recovery button.
12.In the recovery complete window, click the restart button.
13.Your Done Good Luck !!

Khronolupus

Khronolupus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thank you for the help, last question :D

Can i save my data berofe that process and skip that part in the reformat?

Advertisements

Vi-Sion

Vi-Sion

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Sure in step 5 instead of clicking yes i'd like to rescue my data,click the Skip Rescue button and go to step 11 .

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Just to be sure everyone is on the same page....

If you are doing a complete reformat and loading of windows so that everything is wiped out you need to save your data to a USB (since CD drive doesn't work), or another external hard drive. Not to the C drive of what you are reformating.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Thanks for the additional support folks   :)  :thumbsup:

i got most documents previously saved in an external disk.

All data must be backed up to an external source and not to another partition on the present HDD.

Nothing for me to add other than to let you know that after the restore you will need to install all important Windows updates and a good free AV such as Avast or MSE, I would also recommend that once done you create a back up image of the HDD, we will help you with this when the time comes.

123Runner was quicker on the keyboard than me there  :)

Khronolupus

Khronolupus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Thank you everybody for the help c: I already reformat my computer.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

Does that mean that you have used the recovery partition on the HDD and that it all went well.