Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Driver stopped responding and has recovered (Resolved)

Best Answer phillpower2 , 06 January 2016 - 11:28 AM

Microsoft Solitaire Collection is not something that I play myself so correct me if I am wrong here but don`t you need an internet connection to access your Microsoft account to be able to play it,... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Mark Green

Mark Green

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

I have recently started getting the message that my display diver stopped responding and has recovered.  I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a while back.  The message states that the Display driver Intel HD Graphics Driver for Windows 8® stopped responding and has successfully recovered. I have checked to see if the driver needed to be updated in Device Manager and it states it is up to date.  Thanks.

Mark

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Mark.

Have you tried updating the Chipset and if present the SMBus drivers.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the MB, the Ram (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

Mark Green

Mark Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Hello,

I have an HP desktop.  The System Model is 700-215xt. I am not sure if I tried updating the correct system devices but the Microsoft System Management Bios driver said it was up to date.  I did just update the SMBus controller driver.  Is that what you were asking regarding Chipset and SMBus driver?  Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello Mark Green,

Any further problems since you updated the drivers.

​ Is that what you were asking regarding Chipset and SMBus driver? 

SMBus is one of the chipset drivers, if you click on the Display Adapters icon in the Device Manager it will tell you what chipset you have and if there is no yellow ! present it means that it does not need updating.

JAFYI: This is not an uncommon problem when upgrading any OS but being honest it does seem more prevalent with Windows 10, possibly because many OEM brands such as Dell and HP etc are not releasing updated drivers for older devices.

You are welcome btw  :)

Mark Green

Mark Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Unfortunately the problem is still present after updating the SMBus controller driver.  This was listed under System Devices in Device Manager.  The only thing listed under Display Adapter is the HD Graphics Adapter which when I ask to update states it is the driver software is up to date. Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

As previously mentioned in my reply #4

JAFYI: This is not an uncommon problem when upgrading any OS but being honest it does seem more prevalent with Windows 10, possibly because many OEM brands such as Dell and HP etc are not releasing updated drivers for older devices.

In this instance you can do no more than scanning your computer with the HP driver scanner here

The only thing listed under Display Adapter is the HD Graphics Adapter which when I ask to update states it is the driver software is up to date. Thanks.

As per the above but also try using the computer in Safe Mode (no networking) to see if the video driver still falls over.

Mark Green

Mark Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

I'll give that a try.  One thing to note is that the only time I have seen the issue is when I am using street view on Google maps or playing games.  Thanks. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Nothing to suggest until we hear back from you regarding the suggestions in my reply #6.

The info in your reply #7 would have been best mentioned in your OP, while street view and gaming both involve more involvement from the graphics device and its drivers etc street view also involves internet connection which brings AV and network drivers into the equation.

When you next reply with an update can you also tell us which particular games you have been playing when the driver has crashed. 

Mark Green

Mark Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

The driver has crashed when using games in the Microsoft Solitaire Collection.  I tried getting to the games in Safe Mode but was unable to access them (and no internet connection in Safe Mode to see if the driver crashes while in Google Street View). 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
✓  Best Answer

Microsoft Solitaire Collection is not something that I play myself so correct me if I am wrong here but don`t you need an internet connection to access your Microsoft account to be able to play it, if correct, the issue could involve the internet connection or your network device.

Have you you run the HP driver scanner yet, if yes, was anything updated and is the issue still present.

Test your graphics device to see how it behaves when not connected to the internet, you can download Valley Benchmark (free) from here for this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Not heard back from you Mark Green, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Mark Green

Mark Green

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Sorry I haven't gotten back.  I haven't seen the issue for a little while so I think this can be closed (for now anyway!).  Thanks for your help.

Mark

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:thumbsup: