Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What coding language you know ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

FBE34

FBE34

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm learning Java currently. I'm enjoying the process in its entirety. I look forward to contributing and learning here with everyone. Good luck on your journey with Java  :D

Java is a neat language, it's what I develop most of my stuff with. Have only made 1 application I can say I'm proud of though :P

Nice! I have made a few small applications myself. Do you plan on making anymore?

Advertisements

FBE34

FBE34

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

I wrote my first program in BASIC IN 1974. Since then I've dabbled with Assembler, C, C#, VFP, Java, Pascal and Python. I like [b]VFP[\b] the best as it's so quick to develop in yet has full access to the Windows API. I loathe all dot net - massively bloated languages.

I'm not a web expert but although I use HTML5 and CSS, I'm lazy and use Adobe Muse to do the hard work.

Wow, you have been programming for a long time. That's a wealth of knowledge!

If you don't mind me asking, what is VFP? A quick search of the acronym resulted in Visual FoxPro.

FBE34

FBE34

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

You need to know a good number of languages and technologies nowadays, and I've had quite a bit of experience in some but some (a lot, actually) more from an interest point of view rather than a professional one.  But here goes:

BASIC (ZX Basic, BBC Basic, Harris H500 Basic)
PASCAL (at college)
COBOL (at college)
6800 Assembler
6502 Assembler
Z80 Assembler
x86 Assembler (a little bit)
C
HTML (more experience with 4.01, need to get going with 5)
CSS
JavaScript
PowerBuilder (a previous job required this)
Some flavours of SQL
PHP
VBScript (I guess this counts!!!)

Sounds more impressive than it is really as I've done more in some than others and in some cases it's just been dabbling (due to lack of time).  Would love to get some experience in technologies such as Java, C++ and C# ...... time ....

Quite the resume! I'm learning Java myself. Have you started with any of those you mentioned you wanted to learn more about? All three languages seem to be quite popular.

FBE34

FBE34

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Algol 56 was the first back in 63 then had to switch to  Fortran when they replaced the old computer.  Did some assembly programming in 6800, 8080, and Z80 in the 70s..  BASIC when I got my first PC, Smalltalk, Word Basic, Perl, Javascript and some C & Visual Basic 
Wouldn't claim to be an expert in any of them tho.
Ron

Cool, you have been involved in technology for a long time. Do you still code?

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Nice! I have made a few small applications myself. Do you plan on making anymore?

I plan on it, I just have to come up with ideas for what I want to make. I normally just recreate certain tools to see if I can do it. For fun I decided to recreate Blueline in Java, which turned out great.

Edited by Gman147, 24 March 2016 - 05:56 PM.

FBE34

FBE34

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

I plan on it, I just have to come up with ideas for what I want to make. I normally just recreate certain tools to see if I can do it. For fun I decided to recreate Blueline in Java, which turned out great.

Nice job! That seems like a daunting task. I definitely wouldn't mind collaborating on a project with others sometime in the future. What IDE do you use?

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Nice job! That seems like a daunting task. I definitely wouldn't mind collaborating on a project with others sometime in the future. What IDE do you use?

It was a little slow at first, but the Preview bit definitely took the most time. Right now I use Eclipse for all my Java projects.

FBE34

FBE34

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

It was a little slow at first, but the Preview bit definitely took the most time. Right now I use Eclipse for all my Java projects.

Oh OK, I'm currently using IntelliJ IDEA. That was a good idea to remake the BL in Java. For me, one of the most difficult issues is actually coming up with a project from scratch. Just got to keep chipping at it!

Gman147

Gman147

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Oh OK, I'm currently using IntelliJ IDEA. That was a good idea to remake the BL in Java. For me, one of the most difficult issues is actually coming up with a project from scratch. Just got to keep chipping at it!

Truthfully, I really remade Blueline because I didn't dig the whole 240 user button setup (sorry Azarl :P). It's not a bad system, it just struck me as kind of odd. This is how I handle it in my version.

FBE34

FBE34

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Truthfully, I really remade Blueline because I didn't dig the whole 240 user button setup (sorry Azarl :P). It's not a bad system, it just struck me as kind of odd. This is how I handle it in my version.

Looks good!

Advertisements

azarl

azarl

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 25,310 posts

Looks good, like to try it out

Angoid

Angoid

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 233 posts

Hi FBE34, it all takes time and there are lots of demands on my time all the while.

However, one project I am working on is adding functionality to a website that I'm webmaster for:

http://www.goosedale...yingclub.co.uk/

It's the gallery functionality I'm working on now, at the moment it just shows a "Coming soon" page.

I'm in the club there as well, and over the past few weeks I've managed to get the site / forum integration working more the way I want it.

Languages: PHP, HTML (4.01 and 5), CSS (2 and 3), MySQL, JavaScript.

FBE34

FBE34

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Hi FBE34, it all takes time and there are lots of demands on my time all the while.

However, one project I am working on is adding functionality to a website that I'm webmaster for:

http://www.goosedale...yingclub.co.uk/

It's the gallery functionality I'm working on now, at the moment it just shows a "Coming soon" page.

I'm in the club there as well, and over the past few weeks I've managed to get the site / forum integration working more the way I want it.

Languages: PHP, HTML (4.01 and 5), CSS (2 and 3), MySQL, JavaScript.

I like the overall layout of the website. I eventually want to put a few websites out myself. A personal blog to just have a place to post my thoughts. I know some HTML and CSS, but no experience with the others you mentioned. I have heard of them and know their purpose, though. 

Angoid

Angoid

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 233 posts

I essentially retained the default L&F of phpBB3, and propagated it to the site itself to give a more integrated experience.  In many ways, what I've done isn't that clever really.

I'm currently working on a gallery for it - if you follow the gallery links you'll get taken to a "Coming soon" page but of course I've coded a backdoor to enable me to develop this.  When done, I'll either take the backdoor out or render it ineffective so I can re-instate it and use it again for debugging purposes.

For a personal blog, you probably don't need much beyond HTML and CSS, if that really.

I think it helps to have a project in mind before you start writing any code, and to write some kind of functional specification first as well.  It gives you a focus and something to work towards.  In the case of the gallery on the model flying site, I wrote a loose specification before starting any work as it gave me a starting point and a direction.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts

Direct to LisaHamiltonEu,

Unless asking for help with your own computer issues or alternatively you are offering computer help to others please refrain from posting in other members threads, any repeat of random posting will be treated as spam and dealt with as per forum rules, thank you for your understanding.

Redundant thread closed.