Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Infection Win32:Evo-gen [Susp] & "offers4u" pop-up ads

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

OK.  Looks like we found something.  Your MBR is unknown and a google of the SHA1 brings up no hits.  I hate to mess with the MBR but it looks like we need to.  

When you ran aswmbr it saved two files.  We want to submit the MBR.dat to virustotal to see if they agree that something is wrong.

Please submit the mbr,dat file on your desktop to virustotal:

Easiest way to submit a file is to copy the path:

"C:\Users\WAYNE\Desktop\MBR.dat"

Then
Go to virustotal.com with your browser.  Click on Choose File then when the file chooser window opens, move down to the File Name: box and then Ctrl + v and the copied path should appear.  Hit Open and it should return to the main page with mbr.dat chosen.  Click on Scan it.  If it knows the file already it will tell you it's already been analyzed and offer you a choice of Reanalyze and View Last Analysis.  In that case click on View Last Analysis.  If it doesn't know the file it will take a minute to query 56 or more different anti-virus companies.  In either case, If the Detection ratio: is not 0 / 58  or so then copy the Analysis page and paste it into the forum.  You can just hit Ctrl + a then Ctrl + c to copy the page then go to a reply and Ctrl + v.

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I guess it wasn't able to identify it. Please see attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Do you still want me to run the Avast boot scan tonight?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

yes.  If it doesn't find anything then I fear we need to try replacing the mbr.  I like to have some way to boot without windows in case the replacement goes bad.  Do you have a blank CD or a USB we could use?  

The procedure with a CD is:

Download, save and then right click on it and Extract All.  Click on BurnToCD.cmd and follow the instructions to burn the CD.  Then move the CD to the sick PC and boot off the CD. (You may need to change the boot order so the CD drive comes before the hard drive.  See: http://www.hirensboo...-order-in-bios/ )

The procedure for the USB also requires the CD:

Make sure you can boot off it and then try aswMBR's FixMBR

There are also several programs on Hirem's that can backup and replace the mbr

mbrwizard used to be on there.  Haven't checked recently but the instructions for it are

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Just found this on making a bootable drive without first burning the CD

http://www.rmprepusb...utorials/hirens

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Good morning. I started the Avast scan last night. This morning, my PC was rebooted, but there was no message from Avast about what the scan did.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

http://www.rmprepusb...utorials/hirens...I hope we don't have to use this one. Just the first step is way over my head:

I assume that you already have a USB Flash memory drive or USB Hard disk. This drive should be prepared using RMPrepUSB and have grub4dos already installed. You should also have an existing menu.lst file. If you do not have such a drive already prepared, use RMPrepUSB to wipe it and make partition of 1GB or more using these RMPrepUSB settings:

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Look in C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\report\aswBoot.txt 

This is a hidden location so you may have to:

Open the Control Panel menu and click Folder Options.
    After the new window appears select the View tab.
    Put a checkmark in the checkbox labeled Display the contents of system folders.
    Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files and folders.
    Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide file extensions for known file types.
    Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files.

Press the Apply button and then the OK button 

If you still don't see it then open Avast, Scan, scan for Viruses, Scan History.  Select the latest report and select Detailed Report.  Take a screen shot of the page.
Press the Alt + the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It may be labeled [PrtScn].

Open Microsoft Paint (All Programs, Accessories,Paint).

Go to the Edit menu and choose Paste (or just do Ctrl + v) and the image should appear.

Go to the File Menu and choose Save As.

Navigate to the folder where you want to save the image.  (Desktop)

Type a file name for the image: Avast

Select a file type. jpeg 

Click the Save button.

Attach Avast.jpg to your Reply.

(Start a Reply.  click on More Replay Options then on  Choose File,  point it at your desktop and click on Avast.jpg then Open.  Now click on Attach this File)  Then when done you can Add Reply.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Here you go.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Here you go.

Attached Thumbnails

• Avast.jpg

Advertisements

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

That looks too small to read. Here - I've done a Snip.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

How odd.  Avast appears to be triggering on your frst.txt files.  My Avast doesn't seem to mind them.  The only one it found that is really bad is the threat: JS:Iframe-EON.  Since it doesn't appear that Avast did anything with them click on it and delete it or send it to the quarantine chest.

Try submitting your C:\user\Wayne\Desktop\FRST.txt to virus total.  Are you still seeing the Avast warning when you come to this page on Geekstogo?  No FRST.txt file so it shouldn't.

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Looks like Avast put it in the Virus Chest on its own. See screen shot.

I am not getting any errors on the geeks site. For the last day or so, I have seen no symptoms at all on my PC. Without the scans I would not know that anything is wrong.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG
  • Capture.PNG

Edited by wayneman50, 05 January 2016 - 12:38 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

I think it was a false positive from Avast.  Looks like much ado about nothing.

I think we can cleanup now.

We usually clean up with Delfix.  This removes our tools and their logs and quarantines and also removes all but the latest System Restore point so there is no chance of the malware coming back with a system restore.  Follow the instructions and ignore the picture since it doesn't show the correct options as checked.

Download Delfix from here
Ensure Remove disinfection tools is ticked
Also tick:
Create registry backup
Purge system restore
delfix.jpg
Click Run
The program will run for a few moments and then notepad will open with a log. Please paste the log in your next reply

Also make sure you have the latest versions of any adobe.com products you use like Shockwave, Flash or Acrobat.  Flash is now the most malware targeted program so it must be kept up to date.  Be careful with Adobe.  They are fond of offering optional downloads like yahoo or Ask toolbars or that worthless McAfee Security Scan.  Go slow and uncheck the optional stuff.

Whether you use adobe reader, acrobat or fox-it to read pdf files you need to disable Javascript in the program.  There is an exploit out there now that can use it to get on your PC.  For Adobe Reader:  Start, All Programs, Adobe Reader, Edit, Preferences, Click on Javascript in the left column and uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript.  OK Close program.  It's the same for Foxit reader except you uncheck Enable Javascript Actions. 

If you use Chrome/Firefox/IE then get the AdBlock Plus Add-on.  Go to adblockplus.org with each browser and get the add-on.  (It's actually a program for IE)

If Chrome/Firefox is slow loading make sure it only has the current Java add-on.  Then download and run Speedy Fox.
http://www.crystalidea.com/speedyfox.  Close Chrome/Firefox/Skpe. Hit Optimize.   You can run it any time that Chrome/Firefox seems slow starting..

Be warned:  If you use Limewire, utorrent or any of the other P2P programs you will probably be coming back to the Malware Removal forum.  If you must use P2P then submit any files you get to http://virustotal.combefore you open them.

If you have a router, log on to it today and change the default password!  If using a Wireless router you really should be using encryption on the link.  Use the strongest (newest) encryption method that your router and PC wireless adapter support especially if you own a business.  See http://www.king5.com...-120637284.htmland http://www.seattlepi...ted-1344185.php for why encryption is important.  If you don't know how, visit the router maker's website.  They all have detailed step by step instructions or a wizard you can download.

Special note on Java.  Old Java versions should be removed after first clearing the Java Cache by following the instructions in:
Then remove the old versions by going to Control Panel, Programs and Features and Uninstall all Java programs which are not Java Version 7 update 25 or better.  These may call themselves: Java Runtime, Runtime Environment, Runtime, JRE, Java Virtual Machine, Virtual Machine, Java VM, JVM, VM, J2RE, J2SE.  Get the latest version from Java.com.  They will usually attempt to foist some garbage like the Ask toolbar, Yahoo toolbar or McAfee Security Scan on you as part of the download.  Just uncheck the garbage before the download (or install) starts.  If you use a 64-bit browser and want the 64-bit version of Java you need to use it to visit java.com.
Due to multiple security problems with Java we are now recommending that it not be installed unless you absolutely know you need it.  IF that is the case then go to Control Panel, Java, Security and slide it up to the highest level.  OK.

Make sure Windows Updates is turned and that it works.  Go to Control panel, Windows Updates and see if it works.  

My help is free but if you wish to show your appreciation, please donate to Kwiaht instead of me. It's a local environmental organization that I volunteer with: http://www.kwiaht.org/donate.htm
(The name means something like "clean place" in one of the local native-American dialects)

wayneman50

wayneman50

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts

I think it was a false positive from Avast.  Looks like much ado about nothing....Phew! I'll take that!

Download Delfix from here...I don't see a link.