Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting my old tv DID work, suddenly doesn't

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

I have an old TV that I connect to my computer. It's how I watch Netflix or what-have-you while still getting stuff done on the computer.

I connect a VGA cable to a converter which uses RCA cables. It's never been a problem.

All of a sudden, as of about 2 weeks ago, it's a problem.

Recently, after running AMD Catalyst Control Center, not only did it create HUGE syncing issues (the nearly invisible lines which go up or down a screen when two video components are not synced) on the 2nd monitor but, somehow, even when just displaying the desktop there are HUGE lines in the display.  This had previously only been an issue when actually watching video...and never to this degree. (You'd really have to be looking for it to notice.)

That has never happened before. I've since tried all kinds of different setups to fix it. I believe the original setting for the display was 800x600. At some point I changed that, but when I went back to it, no fix. I tried 720x480 & the lines completely disappeared, everything was back to normal. But after restarting, the lines were back -- and this time they won't go away, no matter what I do.

Below is an image which re-creates the giant, ridiculous sync lines that are now appearing. (A screen cap doesn't capture them.)

I hope to be able to buy a new TV in several of months, but I really use this 2nd TV a LOT when streaming via Netflix and the like. And I've GOT to fix this. The only ideas I have:

1. Go back to a recent Restore point.

2. Remove the AMD Catalyst Control Center, see if that makes a difference (but I'm uncertain after reading their page if removing that also removes the AMD drivers -- which I would guess I shouldn't do [FYI: I did that, restarted, reinstalled them -- no help]).

Beyond that, I got nothin'. Ideas?

COMPUTER INFO:
PC with Windows 10 (upgrade) 64-bit
AMD: Mobile Radeon HD 5000
Driver version: 15.201.1151.1008
Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU (factory original)
RAM: 6GB

THANK YOU!

Attached Thumbnails

• dammit_cr.jpg

Advertisements