Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using two Monitors, the secondary takes a while to turn on (Resolved)

dual monitors two monitors monitors

Best Answer starfloater , 10 January 2016 - 04:16 PM

Hi Phil, Thank you for the help!. I enabled the sli and I realized I couldn't play my online games when sli was enabled and I was still having an issues with one monitor not waking up. I ended... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

starfloater

starfloater

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with my issue. I have two monitors connected to two video cards. When I turn on my computer my primary monitor turns on but the secondary one takes around 5-15 minutes to pop up. I am not familiar with hardware but I have tried to disable one of the video cards thinking this was the issue but that didn't work. I updated the drivers through windows 10 but that didn't work. I am not sure how to tell which monitor is hooked up to which video card. Should I just disable one of the video card through the device manager? I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

My computer has the below specs, I didn't built it myself but it isn't a retail purchase:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU: 
Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz 35 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 668MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. SABERTOOTH P67 (LGA1155)

Graphics
2230 (1680x1050@60Hz)
G215H (1920x1080@60Hz)
1279MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (EVGA) 46 °C
1279MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 (EVGA) 42 °C
ForceWare version: 358.91
SLI Disabled

Storage
111GB OCZ-VERTEX3 (SSD)
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00Y6A0 (SATA) 39 °C
149GB Western Digital WDC WD16 00BEVS-22VAT0 USB Device (USB)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BD-RE WH12LS30

Audio
High Definition Audio Device

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

:welcome:    starfloater,

Tip

To ensure that you receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

The first thing that I would suggest that you try is swapping the video cables around on your two screens as in leave them connected as they are to the two GTX 570 GPUs on the computer but switch the connections on the back of the two screens themselves.

Present set up;

Card A and primary screen.

Card B and secondary screen.

Suggested set up for testing;

Card A and secondary screen.

Card B and primary screen.

This is to see if the problem is still present when the primary becomes the secondary screen.

Please be sure to re enable Sli mode before testing the suggested set up.

starfloater

starfloater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the response.  I enabled SLI as you said and I had some issues but once I put both monitors on one video card SLI seemed to work properly. The 2nd monitor still take minutes to load but I have another question. Now that SLI is enabled both monitors are working as 1 monitor. Is this correct? Is this how SLI works? So, the two monitors are working as one long monitor. 

When I left the monitors on separate video cards then enabled SLI the secondary monitor was looking a shade of green and I thought I did something wrong that is why I put them both on one SLI card.

Again, thank you for trying to help me:)

Edited by starfloater, 08 January 2016 - 06:27 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi starfloater,

I put both monitors on one video card SLI seemed to work properly. 

That is how they should be  :thumbsup:

When I left the monitors on separate video cards then enabled SLI the secondary monitor was looking a shade of green and I thought I did something wrong that is why I put them both on one SLI card.

As per the above.

For a better explanation than I can give + with diagrams take a look at the Nvidea information here

The 2nd monitor still take minutes to load 

Have you tried swapping the ports on the video card/s to which the screens are connected, it could be the screen that you named as secondary that has issues.

You are welcome btw  :)

starfloater

starfloater

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the help!. I enabled the sli and I realized I couldn't play my online games when sli was enabled and I was still having an issues with one monitor not waking up. I ended up opening up my computer (for the first time since I got it built, 4 years ago, lol) cleaning it and reinserting my video cards and swapped them. I was hoping that re-inserting. and swapping the cards would help with the sli issue(I read some forums about it). No such luck but cleaning of course actually did help cool down my computer and it is running much quieter now. Same issues though.

Anyway, I won't bore you anymore. I disabled sli, since the gaming wasn't working and now I am working with one of the video cards and I put my display setting on 'extended display' and this seems to work better with monitors waking up at the same time. I should update my video cards but I am not a heavy gamer and as long was one of them is working I'm fine for now..

Thank you so much for trying to help me and not laugh at me=)

Edited by starfloater, 10 January 2016 - 05:12 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hi starfloater,

You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up, we appreciate members letting us know any outcome good or bad  :yes:

While not ideal you appear to have found a satisfactory solution to the problem and cleaned out the nasty heat generating dust bunnies in the process, something for you to keep in mind for the future, having more than one GPU is not always better than having only one, there is more chance of something going wrong, a more powerful PSU is required and more heat is produced, a single more modern good quality brand and spec add on video card will often be faster, be able to support up to four displays and require a less powerful PSU than older cards in Sli or Crossfire mode.